Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Best way to group data (Data cube vs. query)
Srividya Sharma
Hi
I have just started using the data cube and I am beginning to understand its limitations.
Now I want to know, when do we really need to use data cubes and when we should not be using them.
I can always group data by changing the query in the dataset. (using GROUP BY clause)
So, when do I need to use data cubes?
Thanks
Srividya Sharma
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Srividya,
One of the most useful things about a chart is when you have dynamic column values to group or if you have a dynamic date range you want to sum for across a page, or if you have a comparison table you need to make. Grouping can also be done in your query as you said, if it's more just down the page grouping. Grouping within your BIRT table/list can also be used for this.
Obviously, the reasons to use each depend on the situation and what works best for your data and situation. Hope this helps some.