Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Chart formatting issues
aglass
Hi,
I have built a few charts and am struggling on getting to look exactly how I require.
If anyone knows how to do the following please can you let me know?
1) I would like to add some gridlines to the chart horizontal and vertical. In a really light colour preferably.
2) I have built a bar chart that has two additional series in it that are line. (E.g. Actual-Bar, Budget-Line, Prior Year-Line) And I would like to make the bars wider but when I go into the format chart option and look at the Actual series there is no option to do that.
3) Continuing from 2 the default for the lines seems to be just slightly off to the right of the bars whereas I would like them to point to the center. Basically I want the two lines to have their point (marker) in line with the centre of the bar.
If any of this is possible any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Tony
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
thuston
1) Format - Chart Area - Axis - Y Axis - Gridlines
2) Format - Chart Area - general properties (to set the spacing between bars)
3) The line point should be in the exact center of the X-Axis category. Do you have multiple series for the bars? The bar may be the thing not in the center.
aglass
Thuston thanks for the help on the first 2 issues that has solved my problems there.
On the third I have tried a couple of other methods today and found a sort of solution but it isn't quite perfect.
Basically you were right that the points of the lines are in the centre of the axis and the bar was off centre.
To get around this I have tried to change the chart type to a line graph and make the series as follows:
Series 1 - Budget - Line
Series 2 - Actual - Bar
Series 3 - Pr. Year - Line
This works at getting the bar in the centre of the x axis however for some reason it shows the series 1 line behind the bar for series 2. By this I mean you can see the line going into the left hand side of the bar and then it is shown behind the bar and coming out the right hand side. As such I can't see the point where the two lines join.
I have tried adding a marker and this results in the marker being visible but the lines attached to it are still hidden behind the bar.
Is there any way to bring the line for series 1 in front of the bar for series 2? Also I have tried using the translucent option on the chart editor for series 2 and this ruins the colour of the bar so is possible I would like to avoid using this.
If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tony