Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
How do chart aggregations work?
jsherriff
I have a chart that is using grouping, sorting, and an aggregate expression. But, no matter what I set the aggregate expression to (sum, median, etc) it appears to be aggregating using "average". Nothing I've set it to has any impact on the chart output. I want moving average. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Attached is a zip containing an rptdesign and flatfile datasource example.
Thanks
Joel
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jsherriff
I don't think this is going to work the way I want... Figuring I could accomplish the same thing by using a table aggregation, I created a table from the data, grouped on Month the same as in the chart, and added a MOVINGAVE aggregation but it's giving me the moving average of the individual values, not the moving average of the grouped values. For example, given
jan 1, 10
jan 2, 0
jan 3, 30
feb 1, 0
feb 2, 40
feb 3, 50
mar 1, 60
mar 2, 0
mar 3, 60
I'm looking for values aggregated by month with a moving average window of 2 expecting to get
jan 13.3 (10+0+30/3)
feb 21.6 (10+0+30+0+40+50/6)
mar 35 (0+40+50+60+0+60/6)
but instead I get
jan 15 (0+30/2)
feb 45 (40+50/2)
mar 30 (0+60/2)
is what I want possible?
johnw
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'jsherriff'" data-cid="73611" data-time="1298068968" data-date="18 February 2011 - 03:42 PM"><p>
I don't think this is going to work the way I want... Figuring I could accomplish the same thing by using a table aggregation, I created a table from the data, grouped on Month the same as in the chart, and added a MOVINGAVE aggregation but it's giving me the moving average of the individual values, not the moving average of the grouped values. For example, given<br />
<br />
jan 1, 10<br />
jan 2, 0<br />
jan 3, 30<br />
feb 1, 0<br />
feb 2, 40<br />
feb 3, 50<br />
mar 1, 60<br />
mar 2, 0<br />
mar 3, 60<br />
<br />
<br />
I'm looking for values aggregated by month with a moving average window of 2 expecting to get<br />
jan 13.3 (10+0+30/3)<br />
feb 21.6 (10+0+30+0+40+50/6)<br />
mar 35 (0+40+50+60+0+60/6)<br />
<br />
but instead I get <br />
jan 15 (0+30/2)<br />
feb 45 (40+50/2)<br />
mar 30 (0+60/2)<br />
<br />
is what I want possible?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Did you set the level of the aggregation to your group level, and not the table level?
jsherriff
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'johnw'" data-cid="73622" data-time="1298105278" data-date="19 February 2011 - 01:47 AM"><p>
Did you set the level of the aggregation to your group level, and not the table level?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Yep. Interestingly, the result is the same if set to Aggregation On: Table too.
jsherriff
bump. Guys? Is there something I could be doing wrong, or is this just how it works?