Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Binding a table to it's container data set?
kevinshih
Hi all,
I was hoping there is a way to bind a table's dataset to it's container's dataset, much like you can with a chart. Is that possible? I'm currently using Birt 2.3.2.
Thanks!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
What are you doing with a table inside another table that needs to use the container's dataSet?
kevinshih
The outer container is a grid that has 3 rows. The first and third rows contain a label. The second row contains the table. I want to hide the 2nd and 3rd rows of the grid, depending on whether the dataset has records or not.
I currently have the table bound to the dataset, with a calculated value for the record count. I use the onFetch method of the dataset to store the record count in a global variable. But because of timing, the global variable remains null when I check it on the visibility script for the rows of the grid. I say "timing" because I believe the grid is rendered and the visibility script is run, before the table inside the grid is rendered.
If there are better ways to do this, I would love to hear about them.
Thanks!
mwilliams
If you just bind the grid to the same dataSet, your problem would be taken care of, I would think. Or put a dummy text element bound to the dataSet you're checking before the grid and hide it. I believe the caching improvements were already around in BIRT 2.3.2 so that the data shouldn't be ran twice just because you use it twice. I could be wrong though.
kevinshih
I knew I could do that, but I'm not sure about the caching improvements being around in this version. I found a definite improvement in report performance when I used a grid as a container for charts, then told the charts to use the container's dataset. When I had the charts tied to the dataset directly, the report took 3x as long to render.
Is there a complete list of improvements from 2.3.2 to the current version? I've seen the marketing ones, and have never seen anything in them to warrant upgrading.
mwilliams
You can check out the new & notable links for the different versions here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/BIRT_Project_Plan_Archive
and the newest versions here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/BIRT_Project_Plan