Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Value (Y) Series does not display
JDH
Hi, I am new at this. I did the Pie chart tutorial from Vol. 1 of the BIRT book. No problem. I then added another chart below it that was a line chart of the same data. No problem.
I then created another project, data source and data set from Classic Models. I tried to build a line chart using the following query:
select ProductName,
QuantityInStock
from PRODUCTS
where QuantityInStock < 500
order by ProductName
The Preview Results shows the following:
PRODUCTNAME QUANTITYINSTOCK
1928 Ford Phaeton Deluxe 136
1960 BSA Gold Star DBD34 15
1968 Ford Mustang 68
1997 BMW F650 ST 178
Pnt Yacht 414
So, the query seems to be OK.
I go the the .rptdesign file drop a chart on the blank form. I chose Line for the Chart Type and the leftmost Subtype from the Select Chart Type tab.
From the Select Data tab I clicked on Use Data from the Data set I created. I clicked on the Show data preview box and I see two columns the show the same data as the query above.
I right clicked on the PRODUCTNAME column under Data Preview and selected Use as Category (X) axis. I right clicked on the QUNTITYINSTOCK column and selected Plot as Value (Y) Series.
On the Format chart tab I cllcked on the radio button that says Show a message if there is no data. I did this because I think I am having some kind of a data problem. I changed the X axis formatting to be visible and to use -90 degrees so the labels would display the full text.
I clicked Apply and Finish buttons. Then I clicked preview.
The attached image is what I get. You can see my problem. No line graph. No scale on the left side. But it did not put out the no data message so I assume it got my data but could not plot it for some reason.
I am really new at this so I am pretty sure I am doing something stupid or have missed a step.
I am running Birt 2.6.1 in Eclipse Helios. I have done all the other tutorials in the book without problems.
Thanks for any help you can give.
JDH
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Can you attach the report that uses the sample database? Just like you said, it looks like you have no data. Did you accidentally turn off the visibility of the series?
JDH
Michael,
Here is the attached report file. Anything is possible from a newbie.
mwilliams
Yep, the "visible" checkbox was unchecked on the "series" section under the "format data" tab.
JDH
Thanks, Michael.
I the default for that visible?
mwilliams
Yes it is! You may have just accidentally clicked on it without knowing it.