Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Connecting to a SQLexpress 2008 database
jbb
Having no luck connecting to SQLexpress 2008 database on home computer. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to do this? I need very detailed instructions. I am pretty new at this. I am working form the data sources tab -> new data source-> JDBC Data Source Connection for Query Builder -> SQL database: from here I can't seen to get correct selections.
Any help greatly appreciated.
jb
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dave O
Hi JB,
I am also new to BIRT - I really like the power it has. Getting connected is a necessary first step and was a challenge for me also.
Someone with more experience with BIRT may have additional suggestions, but here is my 2 cents:
1. I found using the sourceforge net.sourceforge.jtds:jdbc.Driver(v1.2) worked better than the MS driver. You can download the jar file from source forge, and put it in the a folder.
2. Use ManageDrivers Add to get the driver into BIRT -
File Name: jtds-1.2.5.jar
Original Location [where you downloaded it to.]
2. Select it as the Driver Class in the Edit Data Source dialog
3. in Database URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://[computername]:1433/[database name]
4. user name: sa
5. password for your database
This works for my system both with Express and Developer (Enterprise).
Good luck!
Dave
joeguzman1
The following service must be running to establish the connection:<br />
<strong class='bbc'>SQL Server Browser</strong>
jbb
Thanks for the assistance from each of you. I have tried each recommendation and am receiving the following error message. <br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'><em class='bbc'>Could not connect to Adventureworks.<br />
Error creating ODA Connection Factory connection to Adventureworks. (Error: There is an error in get connection, Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect.)<br />
</em> </strong><br />
<br />
I am using this URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://[computername]:1433/[database name] with my computer name and the Adventureworks db. - sql server browser is running.<br />
<br />
Lucky I am starting early with learning Birt. I am moving along fine with the sample db - just can't connect to any other JDBC DB.<br />
<br />
I am open to any suggestions! <br />
<br />
Thanks Again, <br />
<br />
JB
Hans_vd
Hi JB,
Can you verify:
- that the port number is correct? Is it really 1433 that the SQL server is running on?
- that you don't have a firewall blocking port 1433?
- that your installation of SQL Server is configured to use TCP/IP? (I'm not a SQL server guy, not sure on how to do this, but there must be some kind of configuration setting for this.)
Hope this helps
Hans