Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Invoking Workflow
System
Can a workflow be automatically invoked when a new HTML is added to a workarea or an existing HTML is modified by an author?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Potentially yes - but I'm not sure that it would be (a) reliable or (b) desireable.
WRT 'a' - there are certain 'events' that are generated whenever a file is newly created in TeamSite, and there are certain events that are generated whenever a file is *first* modified from the version that exists in staging. You *could* write a trigger script to look for those events and to fire off a workflow based on a job description file [*not* wft] using iwjobc -i (or iwjobc and iwinvokejob)
By *first* modified, I mean that if you have a file that is synced with staging and you edit it - the event will "occur", but if you save (not submit) the file and then edit it again - no subsequent event will occur. If you then submit the file, and then edit it - an event will occur because it is once again the *first* modification from the version in staging.
WRT 'b' - triggers seem like a wonderful idea until you realize how much overhead they cause on your server because they run *so* frequently. You also have to make sure you write your trigger scripts very carefully to ensure that they exit out gracefully if being run in a situation for which they were not intended (this minimizes some, but not all of the overhead). Keep in mind, that if you have a trigger watching for file creation events and you copy 10 files into your workarea - you will be firing off *10* trigger events - not 1!
Is there some reason why you cannot wait for a Submit request to occur?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
Teamsite doesnt automatically popup a workflow when a new content is added thru dreamweaver?
Migrateduser
What we are actually planning to achieve is: HTML Content is added or edited thru Dreamweaver. As soon as the content is added, a workflow will automatically popup and invoke a DCT for adding metadata for the HTML.
Does this makes sense? If this can be achieved , can you please tell me how to do it?
Thanks.
Adam Stoller
This sounds similar to TeamCode and the DreamWeaver plugin interface. However, there I believe the workflow already exists, and the interface (among other things) signals a *transition* of the existing workflow - not initiating it.
I don't think there is any way to do what you are asking (or at least not in the way I'm interpreting what you're asking) - but I could be wrong, and perhaps someone else will be able to provide some input here. ...?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
MattP
So the only thing you want IWOV to do is capture metadata with a DCT?!? Sounds like you have some content authors who aren't willing to let go of dreamweaver. Let me guess, you are using DW templates.
If it could be done form a technical point, fish would know. So I will offer a few "hacks".
Why are you not using DCT for the whole thing? A worse case scenario let the authors build everything in DW then build a dct with one input that allows html. They could paste in their code, maybe even see how it looks with VFE. Then you could kick off a wf on tt_data (dcr save). But that is a pretty severe hack, and I would have a hard time justifying it.
What does TS front office have to offer?
I would give your authors a copy of "who moved my cheese" and get them to use templates for the whole thing. If I have got it all wrong, I apologize, I guess not every project calls for Templating. But the mix of DW and templating seems strange. All in good humor
Good luck
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
Migrateduser
Yes...We are using DCTs for only metadata capture.
Migrateduser
Matt, our creative team uses Dreamweaver and no TS Templating. Evidently that must be preposterous to you. Oh well, guess we aren't one of them newfangled high tech companies anyway, We are also just about ready to implement Front Office to everyone, too. We figure the ability for our remote content authors to be able to lock files in TeamSite from Dreamweaver is a good thing. Silly us...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
MattP
No, it isn't the dreamweaver part at all. It is the mix of the two. Does your creative team use templating to capture metadata?
If front office has a connector to DW, that may be the solution for krishna.
As I said, all in good humor, didn't mean to offend anyone. I have listened to other developers complain about the situation that I thought krishna was in.
Matt
BTW - BOC isn't new fangled or high tech. We sell industrial gas
Pretty old school actually.
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
Migrateduser
I could make a good joke about gas but it would probably offend someone so I'll keep it to myself. I was trying to be a bit sarcastic myself. We do not use any Templating at all, which is pretty uncommon I think. All of our creative folks use Dreamweaver and ftp directly to the TeamSite server. Being able to use Front Office with locking in Dreamweaver will be a big win for us. If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that so many people do it differently. Strange but true...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com