Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Upgrading to latest results in exception
homaxto
I have recently got the task of upgrading Birt to the latest version. I have no former experiences with Birt, but nonetheless I was given the task, since the guy who originally set up Birt, no longer works for us (classic story). The version I am upgrading from is 2.3.2.<br />
<br />
What I have done up till now: I located where the content of WebViewerExample is in out build structure, deleted everything and copied the new content from 2.6.2. Then I redeployed.<br />
<br />
The error I get is this:<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>The report file : C:\jboss\jboss-4.3.GA_CP07\server\default\.\tmp\deploy\tmp2579321746781439623sync.ear-contents\admin-exp.war/Current_Country_and_Operator_per_User_1.rptdesign does not exist or contains errors.</pre>
<br />
The problem is the path that Birt uses for looking up the report. This path is pointing to where jboss installs the current deployed application, but the reports are located under C:\jboss\jboss-4.3.GA_CP07\server\default\filestore\reports<br />
In the former version of Birt this was no issue at all.<br />
<br />
I have located where I think the problem lies. At least I do not get this exception. The file WebViewerExample\WEB-INF\lib\viewservlets.jar gives me the error. If I deploy with the old file from version 2.3.2 I do not get this error, and instead the Birt Report Viewer page loads but it gives me a NullPointerException instead.<br />
<br />
So I probably need the newest version of viewservlets.jar though it can't find the reports. <br />
Does anyone have an idea of what goes wrong since Birt is looking for the reports in the wrong place?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Can you try to set the working folder in the web.xml of the viewer?
<context-param>
<param-name>BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER</param-name>
<param-value>/myreports</param-value>
</context-param>
Jason
homaxto
Hi Jason and thanks for your reply.
I located the BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER and the value was not set. So I set it to "/filestore/reports" but I still got the tmp path - now just a little bit longer. Then I changed the value to "../../../../filestore/reports" and then it worked!
Well happy about seeing the report being generated, I now start asking myself, if this really is the only way to set it up. I guess not, but some how ParameterAccessor.getRealPath still retuns the tmp path.
Any idea on how to set this up?
I can't use the fully qualified path since this is installed on many different OS's.
Best regards,
Thomas
JasonW
Thomas,
How did you deploy the viewer on JBoss?
Did you use this process:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerSetup.php#jboss
Another thing to try is to put the reports at the top level of the webapp and clear the BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER setting.
Jason
homaxto
Birt is deployed as part of our regular deployment, which means that it is located in the ear file. The path to the Birt files is then sync.ear/admin.war/WEB-INF
In the WEB-INF you'll find the folders lib, platform and tlds. Also you find the file birt_web.xml that contains the BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER, etc. and the web.xml that integrates the birt_web.xml.
In sync.ear/admin.war/webcontent/birt you find ajax, images, pages and styles.
I have not changed any of that.
Thomas
JasonW
It may be an issue with ear deployment. Can you try the method described here as a test:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerSetup.php#jboss
Jason
homaxto
If I deploy as descriped in the link you posted, Birt expects to find the reports in C:\jboss\jboss-4.3.GA_CP07\server\default\deploy\birt.war
If I place the reports there it works.
However the reports are part of our build, and I need Birt to find them where they are placed (C:\jboss\jboss-4.3.GA_CP07\server\default\filestore\reports).
If I instead unzip our buildfile (first the ear then the war) I get this path:
c:\jboss\jboss-4.3.GA_CP07\server\default\deploy\sync.ear\admin.war\
And in this case Birt is using this path as the starting point, which means I have to add 3 x /.. to the BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER.
What I don't understand is why Birt is getting another path after upgrading.
Thomas
JasonW
Thomas,
Can you open a bug for this?
Jason
homaxto
Thanks Jason for all your effort. It is fantastic to be a newbie and then getting all this atention :-)<br />
<br />
I have opened <a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=341742'>a
bug</a> at the eclipse bugs page.<br />
<br />
Thomas