Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Trying to start BIRT on Ubuntu *seems* to complain about 64-bit lib
rpjday
(Completely new to BIRT and didn't see a forum devoted to simple installation issues so I'm asking here -- hope that's appropriate.)
Having been asked by a colleague to see if BIRT would run on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 system, I downloaded the following tarball:
birt-report-designer-all-in-one-linux-gtk-2_6_2.tar.gz
which allegedly is a self-contained archive with everything I need to run BIRT. So my first question would be, is that true in the sense that if I have Eclipse installed elsewhere on my system, that other version would be ignored? (In other words, could the proper running of this download be affected by something else I have installed?)
Moving on, I untarred that under my home directory, changed nothing and simply ran the "eclipse" executable I saw at the top level, to get:
$ ./eclipse
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
$
That's odd since this *is* a 64-bit system with a 64-bit kernel, and that library is a 64-bit library. It seems as if running eclipse is instead demanding to load a 32-bit version of that shared lib. Can anyone enlighten me here? I changed nothing in the untarred directory, simply ran that executable. Anyone seen something like this before? Thanks.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
rpjday
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'rpjday'" data-cid="75465" data-time="1302014251" data-date="05 April 2011 - 07:37 AM"><p>
(Completely new to BIRT and didn't see a forum devoted to simple installation issues so I'm asking here -- hope that's appropriate.)<br />
<br />
Having been asked by a colleague to see if BIRT would run on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 system, I downloaded the following tarball:<br />
<br />
birt-report-designer-all-in-one-linux-gtk-2_6_2.tar.gz<br />
<br />
which allegedly is a self-contained archive with everything I need to run BIRT. So my first question would be, is that true in the sense that if I have Eclipse installed elsewhere on my system, that other version would be ignored? (In other words, could the proper running of this download be affected by something else I have installed?)<br />
<br />
Moving on, I untarred that under my home directory, changed nothing and simply ran the "eclipse" executable I saw at the top level, to get:<br />
<br />
$ ./eclipse<br />
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64<br />
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so<br />
$<br />
<br />
That's odd since this *is* a 64-bit system with a 64-bit kernel, and that library is a 64-bit library. It seems as if running eclipse is instead demanding to load a 32-bit version of that shared lib. Can anyone enlighten me here? I changed nothing in the untarred directory, simply ran that executable. Anyone seen something like this before? Thanks.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Whoops, I just noticed that that top-level eclipse executable is itself 32-bit, which is probably what's responsible for trying to drag in a 32-bit library. Is there no 64-bit build of a Linux BIRT install?
garyc
Hi
Not sure if you have solved this but I had exactly the same issue.
I did come across the following package:
eclipse-reporting-helios-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz
which you can get from:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/helios/SR2/eclipse-reporting-helios-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz
This has worked flawlessly for me.
Regards
Gary