Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Line Graph Technique using Time
lenburt
Hi There - i have just started using the BIRT line series to produce graphs showing activities over the span of a day (by hour). This works quite well when i want to show n number of activities per hour but when i try a cumulative chart i cannot show a steady rising line reflecting cumulative values over the day. This seems like a simple concept so i must be missing something obvious.
Here is my Query:
SELECT COUNT(*), ACTIVITY_DATE_TIME
FROM CACS.P328CPF
GROUP BY ACTIVITY_DATE_TIME
ORDER BY ACTIVITY_DATE_TIME
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
When you select the data for your chart, under the y-series value there is a drop down to allow you to select an aggregation function. I think you can select "RunningCount" here to do what you're wanting. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding.
lenburt
Michael - i have the time series along the x axis; i tried out the 'running count' and it produced a strange chart (attached). I will continue to experiment. thx, len
mwilliams
That is a strange output for sure! Can you recreate what you're doing with the sample database at all? Or create a report using a CSV of data and attach it in here so I can see what all you're doing?
lenburt
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="76354" data-time="1303938654" data-date="27 April 2011 - 02:10 PM"><p>
That is a strange output for sure! Can you recreate what you're doing with the sample database at all? Or create a report using a CSV of data and attach it in here so I can see what all you're doing?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
I'll give that a shot -- would it help if i attached the rptdesign file?
mwilliams
It would be nice if you could give me some sample data and a report so I can run it and see what's going on. The forums don't allow for .csv files as attachments, so you'll either have to zip it up with the report design or add .txt to the end of the file name before attaching, if you go the CSV route.
pricher
Hi Len,
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I think the problem in your "strange chart" is simply that it is showing markers for every data point on the line. Try removing the markers by going to Format Chart --> Series --> Value (Y) Series 1, then click on Markers and make them invisible. You should then get just a line plotted on the chart.
P.
mwilliams
I think the main issue is that it's not showing the cumulative total across the entire day, it's only doing it for the hour groupings, P, but I could be wrong.
lenburt
Michael - yes, that is the true problem but thanks to 'P' for the tip on the strange chart. I have a coast to coast plane trip Monday so i will try to mock up the data in a CSV during my idle time. I will post the results to continue the thread. -- len
lenburt
I have created a CSV with my data and a simple chart....hope that helps to see what i am trying to do....basically have a running cumulative total of an amount field.
mwilliams
Try the "running sum" aggregation. Maybe that's what you're wanting. I thought what you were wanting was a count of activities, but it looks like the count of activities is a field you already have. Let me know if that gets you closer.
lenburt
Michael - i think i am getting closer -- see attached....one question. I have time on my X axis and the currency on the Y axis -- i made both of them "running sum" aggregation but i am not sure that is correct for the 'time' axis. -- thx, len
lenburt
Ok, it looks like the solution was to disable (uncheck) the grouping on the X axis. Thanks for the assistance. -- len
mwilliams
No problem! Glad to help. Let us know whenever you have questions!