Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
More than one category in x-axis
satyaki
hello,
i have a requirement to generate a chart (bar) with the below dataset.
Birth Wt and In/Out Born should appear in the x-axis.
Count of Boy / Girl should appear in the y-axis.
For every Birth Wt category, there are 2 sub categories, In / Out Born.
I am just not able to figure out how do i represent 2 categories in the x-axis.
Birth Wt In/Out Born Boy Girl
<1000 Inborn 8 5
Outborn 7 3
1000-1499 Inborn 14 0
Outborn 9 4
1500-2499 Inborn 22 6
Outborn 13 8
>=2500 Inborn 27 9
Outborn 25 11
I am attaching an xls sheet with the data table and a chart which would help you understand the requirement much better. I wonder how easy it is to do such things in xls.
Any help would be much appreciated and i am eagerly looking forward to it.
Best regards,
Satyaki.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Can you attach the XLS file with the data in it? It looks like it didn't get attached.
satyaki
Oops...Very sorry.
Forgot to click on the "attach file" button
Satyaki.
mwilliams
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, correctly, and your result set data looks like in the xls file, you should be able to use a combination of the <1000 column and the Inborn/Outborn column in the x-axis expression and it'll give you the values you're looking for.
satyaki
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="77683" data-time="1306518676" data-date="27 May 2011 - 10:51 AM"><p>
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, correctly, and your result set data looks like in the xls file, you should be able to use a combination of the <1000 column and the Inborn/Outborn column in the x-axis expression and it'll give you the values you're looking for.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks for confirming that its possible to create such a chart.<br />
But i am not able to find a way to combine the Birth Wt and Inborn/Outborn column in the x-axis. To my understanding, i can only assign one group to the x-axis. I am not even sure how to create a group with 2 categories. To be honest, i am newbie in BIRT - just started working on it a few days back. <br />
Would really appreciate if you could pass some pointers or let me know how exactly i should do it.<br />
It would be of great help to me.<br />
<br />
Satyaki.
mwilliams
There is an expression builder for the x-axis value that you can use to create an expression that combines your two fields.
satyaki
Thank you for taking time out in replying to my emails.
I will see if i am able to do it with the expression builder. I did try that but was not successful.
Will try it once again.
really appreciate your help.
Satyaki.
mwilliams
Let me know your BIRT version if you have issues. I'll make up an example. Worst case, if you can't get the expression in the x-axis to work, you can create a computed column in your dataSet that joins the two fields and use it in your chart.