Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
xls emitter generates big files and in xml format.
ogiaquino
We have been using BIRT in our company as a reporting tool, mostly we generate excel files. But one thing I notice is that BIRT xls emitter is generating big files and in xml format. Is there a work around or a fix that we can use to reduce the size of generated excel files and output it as true excel without the XML tagging. Lots of our users like to export their report into Excel and the size has become a huge problem for us.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Currently the emitter uses the xml format. Have you looked at the tribix xls emitter? In BIRT 3.7 we will also support open document spreadsheet format.
Jason
ogiaquino
Yes I tried tribix xls emitter and got the below errors, I copied all the required jar files inside plugin directory, could the below errors a version issue between tribix and my version of BIRT installed? i'm using BIRT 3.6. What about the paid version of BIRT does it also generate the excel file in XML format?
Jun 16, 2011 9:56:16 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask setupRenderOption
SEVERE: Error.OutputFormatNotSupported
Jun 16, 2011 9:56:16 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner runAndRenderReport
SEVERE: The output format xls is not supported.
org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.UnsupportedFormatException: The output format xls is not supported.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask.setupRenderOption(EngineTask.java:1886)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.doRun(RunAndRenderTask.java:96)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.run(RunAndRenderTask.java:77)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner.runAndRenderReport(ReportRunner.java:222)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner.execute(ReportRunner.java:162)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner.main(ReportRunner.java:121)
Thanks,
ogiaquino
dzish
I have same problem - about 16MB xls files. IN native xls it has only 200kB. I think about making a filter with zipping before BIRT sends file.
It could be in BIRT viewer as option