Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
URL too long - Report won't run
ttessitore
I am attempting to run a report that has several parameters. One parameter allows for multiple entries. Once the user selects a lot of entries and the URL exceeds the 2083 byte limitation, the report no longer runs. I don't even get an error. Is there a way to get around this limitation? Any way to use a POST? Is there an alternate way of using the parameters? I have looked through the forums and I haven't found anything.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Are there any parameters you have that you could assign a unique code to the values? Then you could have a key to change the values back to their longer string forms once you've passed the parameters through the URL? I'll check into the POST request. I've not done this, so I'm not sure. I'll let you know if I find anything on this.
ttessitore
The multi select combo boxes contains about 1000 individual values that cannot be grouped. From the research I have done, I have not seen anybody using a post. I was just hoping that there was a secondary way to feed parameters to the report. I will keep looking to see if I can figure out the post solution.
mwilliams
If you did your parameter selection external to BIRT and used java to call the report, you might be able to send the parameters through the BIRT context rather than through the URL. Or in the same way, you could gather the parameters external to BIRT, store them to a text file, then read in that file within BIRT.
ttessitore
I added a check to see if the url length exceeded 2000 bytes. If it does, I display an error message telling the user to reduce the number of items selected. I now have another issue. When I attempt to run a report with URL between 1700 and 2000 bytes, I don't get an error, but the web viewer just hangs. You don't get the status bar that indicates that it is processing, but the web viewer pops up and does nothing. Any ideas?
mwilliams
Unfortunately, I don't have an idea as to why that would happen. I've never had a report with a URL that long, so I've not seen it before. How long did you wait on it to show up before closing the window?
ttessitore
I waited about 10 minutes. If the URL is less than 1700 bytes, the report viewer is processing display appears immediately and the reports returns quickly. Is the report context info added to the URL causing it to go over the limit? I will do some additional testing to try and figure this out.