Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Table at top and bottom of page
davidsills
I'm looking to do something that seems as though it must be simple, but drawing a blank. I have two grids on a page. I want the top grid to be printed as high as it can (within the margins of the master page and header) and the bottom grid to be printed as low as it can (within the margins of the master page and footer). I've tried putting the two grids in a "master grid", even setting absolute heights and setting the vertical alignment to Top and Bottom respectively in the outer grid cells. No luck, the PDF printer simply ignored me.
What I am looking for is for the variable space to be between the two grids, not before or after them. Is this possible?
Thanks!
David Sills
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
davidsills
I should add that I have tried many other things, including using percentages to manage the height and so forth. No joy so far.
mwilliams
What is your BIRT version? What is the issue you're having? The bottom grid is not pushed to the bottom of the page?
davidsills
I'm using the Eclipse Helios SR2 reporting package. Yes, the problem is that the bottom grid is simply placed immediately after the top grid, rather than pushed down to the bottom of the page.
mwilliams
Take a look at this report. It uses a grid with 3 rows and 2 columns and displays data in the top row at the top of the page and in the bottom row at the bottom of the page. I set a fixed size for the grid height and width and also set heights on the grid rows. Hope this helps.
davidsills
Ah, but that's cheating. You specify the exact amount of the space in the middle. I don't have complete control over the line breakage in my grids, so I don't know their exact heights. The space between them will be variable, therefore. The calculation should be trivial for the printer, but it can't make it, it seems. When I remove your explicit height for the middle of your report, the whole thing collapses (in PDF, at least). Seems as though it should be easier, though, doesn't it?
mwilliams
Yes, it should be. Are your grids something that you could put in the masterpage header and footer rather than doing it in the layout? You could use page variables to display dynamic data.
If that is not an option, can you set up an example with the sample database that shows how you'll have variable height grids? I'll see if I can come up with something to help.
davidsills
Apparently it would really have helped to have my head on straight. It is the simple calculations that always stump one, isn't it? I seem to have stumbled into a fix, very much along the lines of your solution. Thanks!
mwilliams
Not a problem. If you have time to detail your solution in here, it might help others in the future!
davidsills
The real problem was that I had miscalculated the height of my rows (only by 0.05in, but enough). The printer, faced with irreconcilable requirements, just did what it thought best. When I recalculated the row height correctly for a grid with two rows, one Vertical Alignment Top and the other Bottom, it worked brilliantly. I simply didn't subtract correctly from 11, I think....
mwilliams
Sometimes padding and such comes into play to mess you up too. It might set it just over the limit and cause a page break that you don't understand!