Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Architecture of BIRT 3.7
kosta
Hello BIRT admins and moderators and anyone else of course,
I saw that the new version of BIRT doesnt have the plug-ins folder because BIRT API doesn't uses OSGI any more.
What was the Idea about that? Why does the chages came now?
Will be there in future two different version of BIRT (the 2.6.2 and 3.7 branch) or only one?
Does the future versions of BIRT API use OSGI or not?
For any answers or links thanks in advance.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Kosta,
If you are using the BIRT framework plugins, like in a RCP they are still in plug-in format. This only affects the runtime download and was changed to help with classpath issues that result when deploying BIRT to web based applications. The new POJO runtime will still use BIRT extension plugins if you export them using the manifest editor as usual. Say you develop an ODA you can export it and copy the runtime plugin to the web-inf/lib directory and it should still work. If your plugin contains jars, they have to be removed from the runtime plugin and put in the web-inf/lib as well. With the new runtime you should see a significant performance increase in the BIRT API startup time as well.
Jason
kosta
That means if I use the BIRT in Java Application then I dont need the ReportEngine folder any more?
And using the same code as before there will be no OSGI services started. Until now on starting/stopping the Engine there where 3 or more seconds delay because of starting and stopping the services.
I wonder if the solution now, without OSGI, gives new opportunites for BIRT using it in NetBeans Platform Projects.
JasonW
You are correct on all. I would love to see a BIRT project in NetBeans.
Jason