Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
New to BIRT
woodardbarnes
I have some general questions about BIRT.
Having recently attended a Roadshow, I am unclear about what exactly I need to know.
For example, I do not program in Java. Do I need to go and learn Java?
I do not program in Javascript. Do I need to go and learn Javascript?
I am not a webmaster. Do I need to go and learn HTML?
Although the Roadshow gave me a good jump start for developing report designs in BIRT, it was very light on deployment.
What do I need to learn on deployment, and how do I go about finding out?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
If you are deploying Open Source BIRT, it is best to use the example web viewer that you can download. You can just copy it to a Tomcat application server install and run it.
Take a look at:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerSetup.php
If you are using the latest BIRT version 3.7 take a look at:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/BirtPOJO_Viewer_Tomcat_Deployment
Jason
Virgil Dodson
Hi woodardbarnes, Thanks for attending our roadshow and I'm glad to hear you learned enough about the BIRT Designer that you've made some reports and are ready to deploy them. There are several options for deploying BIRT reports that include using the BIRT runtime APIs and example viewer, like Jason described above, but after reading your post, I don't think you want to build everything yourself so I would recommend looking at the BIRT iServer. You can install it and deploy your report to the browser in no time. Then if you wanted to integrate these reports into other web pages, copy some of the JavaScript from the second link I referenced below
1. BIRT iServer Evaluation -
http://www.birt-exchange.com/be/downloads/
Download the evaluation, Run the installer, then go to Start -> Programs -> Actuate 11 -> iServer Management Consule and upload your RPTDESIGN file. A guided step-by-step guide can be found at
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_BIRT_iServer
2. Integrate BIRT reports using JavaScript -
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/wiki/index.php?title=Programming_with_the_JSAPI
Another alternative if you don't want to manage your own BIRT iServer is to deploy your BIRT reports onto our BIRT onDemand service. Learn more at
https://www.birtondemand.com/bod/home/
mcremer
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'woodardbarnes'" data-cid="81218" data-time="1312638069" data-date="06 August 2011 - 06:41 AM"><p>
I have some general questions about BIRT.<br />
Having recently attended a Roadshow, I am unclear about what exactly I need to know.<br />
<br />
For example, I do not program in Java. Do I need to go and learn Java?<br />
I do not program in Javascript. Do I need to go and learn Javascript?<br />
I am not a webmaster. Do I need to go and learn HTML?<br />
<br />
Although the Roadshow gave me a good jump start for developing report designs in BIRT, it was very light on deployment.<br />
<br />
What do I need to learn on deployment, and how do I go about finding out?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Well if you know how to get the data. You don?t really need to know anything just drag drop items etc. For more fancy stuff (e.g. doing things like on page break) you?ll need to know a bit of JavaScript or java (witch ever you prefer if you starting out I suggest JavaScript because its simpler then java).<br />
I work together with college?s who only know ORACLE PL/SQL and I taught them to use Eclipse some of them picked it up quite quick. And even use a mix of Java and JavaScript based on some examples I gave them.<br />
For running BIRT you have as Virgil said a few options. You can run it evry time in Eclipse or use the Actuate iSerever (we are using the iServer Express 11 (this license version is not available any More).<br />
So it all depens on what you want. Do you need to run the reports adhock and is the Free Eclipse version enough (it has output formats for Doc, PDF, HTML, PostScript, PPT and XLS) and if you set your eclipse settings right you even can share the web viewer to other users in your own network (witch I do not suggest doing).<br />
So for making reports: No you don?t need eny of those skils just need to know how to get the data you want te represent and then just make the report with the right format.<br />
For sharing a report: there is no straight answer there as you see.