Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Can't prevent page breaks within groups
DSimon
I'm designing a report on student attendance data, where I have a table with a grouping pattern of School->Class->Student. I want to prevent page breaks in the middle of Class groups, but even though I've set "Page Break/Inside" to Avoid on the Class group, BIRT doesn't seem to be avoiding page breaks at all; it still tries to pack as many Students on a page as it can, rather than breaking early to start a too-large Class group on the next page.
I also tried setting every page break setting to Avoid on the Student group, but still no joy. I also Googled around a bit, but no luck.
Is there some other setting I need to adjust, or something else I need to do to make page breaks rarer?
I've attached my report design and an example of the incorrect PDF output (i.e. see how the class at the bottom of page 1 orphans a single student on that page, then continues with the rest of the class on page 2).
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
ravishanku
Can u change the pagebreak option 'AFTER = always' instead of 'BEFORE' .. tel if anything changed ..
DSimon
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'ravishanku'" data-cid="81592" data-time="1313559490" data-date="16 August 2011 - 10:38 PM"><p>
Can u change the pagebreak option 'AFTER = always' instead of 'BEFORE' .. tel if anything changed ..<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
You mean that setting for the School group? That's the only place where I'm encouraging page breaks rather than discouraging them.<br />
<br />
Anyways, I tried what you suggested, but it didn't change the output at all. I also tried setting all the page breaks for School group back to "auto", but other than the obvious change (school groups no longer start on a new page), nothing was affected; the Class groups are still being split across page boundaries.
mcremer
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'DSimon'" data-cid="81622" data-time="1313592475" data-date="17 August 2011 - 07:47 AM"><p>
You mean that setting for the School group? That's the only place where I'm encouraging page breaks rather than discouraging them.<br />
<br />
Anyways, I tried what you suggested, but it didn't change the output at all. I also tried setting all the page breaks for School group back to "auto", but other than the obvious change (school groups no longer start on a new page), nothing was affected; the Class groups are still being split across page boundaries.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Simon,<br />
<br />
Im afraid the only way your going to fix this is being smart in your Page Break interfal.<br />
<br />
This is the amount of detail rows it will alllouw before it will do an auto page break. At a quick glance you can have 5 groups on a page before it go's pootch.<br />
<br />
Now you can for startes set to the main groep your showing here set the interfal to 5 (or 4 for a bit more freedome in the detail rows) Also you could (seeing that most of the groups are 6 to 7 in size. Do a bit on that. I would change the defailt 40 of the table to somtni ghuge like 999999 so that it doesnt interfear.<br />
<br />
Hope this helps.