Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
avoid pdf page breaks
annalyse
Hi there,
I desperately tried to find a way to avoid page breaks in my nested tables. My document has a real document structure like nested chapters. Each chapter is a table and if the content of an inner chapter is too big like more than a page long it will break right after the parent chapter heading. I tried to set page-break to avoid on each table and wherever possible but that didn't help.
Attached is a test design to show the problem when generating a pdf.
Can anyone please give me a hint...
Thanks,
Anna
Edit: I reattached the file as zip (rptdesign didn't work on 3 browsers)
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Can you reattach the design? I don't see it. Thanks!
annalyse
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="82852" data-time="1316118311" data-date="15 September 2011 - 01:25 PM"><p>
Can you reattach the design? I don't see it. Thanks!<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Were you be able to find a solution? Anyone?<br />
<br />
Cheers, Anna
mcremer
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'annalyse'" data-cid="83341" data-time="1317108362" data-date="27 September 2011 - 12:26 AM"><p>
Were you be able to find a solution? Anyone?<br />
<br />
Cheers, Anna<br /></p></blockquote>
Hi Anna,<br />
<br />
You cant stop Natural Page breaks (not fitting the paper size you chose for the PDF).<br />
<br />
But if you set the page break from 40 to 0 It will not Page break only when it just has 2 to fit the paper.<br />
<br />
Hope this helps.
annalyse
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mcremer'" data-cid="83347" data-time="1317112700" data-date="27 September 2011 - 01:38 AM"><p>
But if you set the page break from 40 to 0 It will not Page break only when it just has 2 to fit the paper.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
In the example I attached above the tables page break interval is already set to 0. So that doesn't really help I think. <br />
<br />
I don't understand why it breaks after the outer table heading only because the inner table is to long. Shouldn't it be able to just break inside the inner table and show the rest of the rows on the next page?<br />
<br />
Thanks for your help anyway,<br />
Anna
mcremer
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'annalyse'" data-cid="83361" data-time="1317114267" data-date="27 September 2011 - 02:04 AM"><p>
In the example I attached above the tables page break interval is already set to 0. So that doesn't really help I think. <br />
<br />
I don't understand why it breaks after the outer table heading only because the inner table is to long. Shouldn't it be able to just break inside the inner table and show the rest of the rows on the next page?<br />
<br />
Thanks for your help anyway,<br />
Anna<br /></p></blockquote>
Hi Anna,<br />
<br />
Dint see your attachement. So now I looked at it and there are few question I wanted to ask.<br />
<br />
<ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>Why use a Grid in a Table?</li><li>Why put all in one table, why not make a second row for the other table?</li><li>What BIRT version are you using?</li></ul>
annalyse
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mcremer'" data-cid="83362" data-time="1317115609" data-date="27 September 2011 - 02:26 AM"><p>
<ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>Why use a Grid in a Table?</li><li>Why put all in one table, why not make a second row for the other table?</li><li>What BIRT version are you using?</li></ul></p></blockquote>
<br />
Hello mcremer,<br />
<br />
<ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>Because in my original design I need to add some more information like some general text before printing the table</li><li>Because I have a complex tree object like in a word document with nested chapters</li><li>BIRT 2.5</li></ul>
<br />
As an explanation of what I am doing:<br />
My document is a guideline document which can have nested guidelines-sets. Each set is a row in the outer table and has a list of guidelines with a lot of text representing a row in an inner table. Each guideline has a list of checks also with text. And each check can have a list of results.<br />
So the rows are not really one liners but can have long text.<br />
<br />
So far the document looks pretty cool with images and nice looking text, a printable table of contents at the top of the document. The only problem I still have are the page breaks...<br />
<br />
Thanks for listening
<br />
Anna
mcremer
Hey Anna,
I asked this because of the following:
1. You can create extra rows/columns in a table to manage data. Its less cheotic to have grids in there so I sugest removing them.
Reading to your dissipation I would do the flowing. (I dont know your date set sitaation)>
But I would create a root table with a grouping on the data you want. Then put a table in there with the detail info. This would create also a tree like posibelty and use the Table rows/cells for making the spaces and not the grid.
The benefit is that you also use visabilety etc. And if you do that the page brake issu stops exsisting in genral. She my example same result but more close to your situation.
annalyse
Hi,
thanks for your advise. Unfortunately I can't open you design since my current BIRT version 2.5 is lower than the design file of yours (3.2).
I removed the grid so that I have just a table within a table but nothing changed. A table with grouping doesn't help I think because I have at least a 4 level depth in the tree. But I will try it.
Anna
mwilliams
Anna,
Try changing the version info in the XML Source of mcremer's report to match that of the version info in one of your report's XML Source. This might help you open the newer report design in your older version if no new features are used.