Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Location of temporary report documents
Kloss
Hello BIRT community,
I have a simple question. I know that BIRT produces temporary report files. Where are they located? I use BIRT 2.6.2 and call it via the Report Engine API. I don't use the Viewer.
Regards
Kloss
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Kloss,
Which temporary files are you referring to? In the EngineConfig class you can set the tmp directory birt uses by calling config.setTempDir(..).
Jason
Kloss
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'JasonW'" data-cid="82976" data-time="1316445961" data-date="19 September 2011 - 08:26 AM"><p>
Kloss,<br />
<br />
Which temporary files are you referring to? In the EngineConfig class you can set the tmp directory birt uses by calling config.setTempDir(..).<br />
<br />
Jason<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks. I mean the temporary report document that is produced from the .rptdesign file.<br />
I will try setTempDir(). Thanks.
Kloss
Hi again. The reason I wanted to know the location is to make some performance tests and clear the temporary files for each turn.<br />
I set the temp directory now and have made a method to delete all files within this directory, but there seem to be never files in it. Why that? Are there other locations too?<br />
<br />
In case it is just a silly mistake, this is my method:<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>public static synchronized void cleanTempFiles() {
try {
log.info("cleanTempFiles called");
File[] tempDirFiles = new File(getTempDir()).listFiles();
for (File file : tempDirFiles) {
if (!file.delete()) {
log.warn("unable to delete tempDir file: " + file);
} else {
log.info("tempDir file successfully deleted: " + file);
}
}
} catch (PropertyNotAvailableException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
}</pre>
JasonW
I believe the data engine will write to this location when it processes a very large dataset, but it should clean itself up.
Jason
Kloss
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'JasonW'" data-cid="83046" data-time="1316534035" data-date="20 September 2011 - 08:53 AM"><p>
I believe the data engine will write to this location when it processes a very large dataset, but it should clean itself up.<br />
<br />
Jason<br /></p></blockquote>
But it doesn't clean itself up the way I want it to. <br />
I.e. I compare the performance results of report generation with a normalized tables with a prepared, denormalized table in the database. It doesn't show any effect except for the very first test, because the engine keeps the temporary files. Any idea what I can do?
JasonW
I am not exactly sure what the issue is. You could open a bugzilla request to get some more feedback from the dev team.
Jason