Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
the job that won't end...
nipper
Anyone see this before (5.5.1 SP3) have a WF stuck in the end state. We are running hundreds of these jobs per day so I boubt it is the WFT.
There is no choice to remove job:
Job Name (ID): Concurrent_Approval (52574)
Created: 07/14/2003 12:35
Owner: r9aahl
Creator: r9aahl
Description:
Operation - NA
Task Name (ID) EndTask (52577)
Date 07/14/2003 13:23
Owner <no user>
Status Unassigned
Description none
Here is the endtask WF:
<endtask name = "EndTask">
<activation>
<or>
<pred v = "WorkflowMonitor"/>
<pred v = "ErrorMsg"/>
</or>
</activation>
</endtask>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Just grasping at straws here, but perhaps an <inactivate> tag would help:
<endtask name = "EndTask">
<activation>
<or>
<pred v = "WorkflowMonitor"/>
<pred v = "ErrorMsg"/>
</or>
</activation>
<inactivate>
<pred v = "WorkflowMonitor"/>
<pred v = "ErrorMsg"/>
</inactivate>
</endtask>
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
JonathonG
Are you using nested jobs? If so, these could be the nested jobs hanging around until the parent job completes. That's one case where I've seen this kind of behavior.
Jonathon
Interwoven Architecture Consultant
input_test1.txt
nipper
Yes Jonathon it is a nested job. Would this happen if the parent terminates before the child completes ? If so how do you end this ? As I look, it appears the parent is still there, will this clean itself up ?
Andy
Edited by nipper on 07/15/03 09:52 AM (server time).
bkret
What is the successor to the wft task (child job)?
Brandon Krett
Team Lead
Allstate Inc
JonathonG
You say, "the parent is still there" meaning with an active task, correct? In that case, the answer is yes, those "hanging" jobs will clean themselves up as soon as the parent job completes. If you mean that the parent is also stuck on an end task, then you probably have some issues (and I've never seen anything like that before).
Jonathon
Interwoven Architecture Consultant
nipper
The successor is still running, so that may be why the child process is showing up.
Just never saw that one before.
ANdy
Migrateduser
OK, now as I'm testing a fairly massive nested workflow I'm seeing the same behavior - even after all the child jobs have completed, but the parent job is still active, those ridiculous phantom endtasks are showing up if I view All Jobs. What a crappy design. Why do these endtasks need to show up if the child jobs have completed? This is ugly and useless information. What's the point?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
jbonifaci
If they didn't keep the child job around until the parent job completed, you would lose access to all of the information within the child job. So if your parent workflow had a path that could call the child workflow again, you would still have all of the child workflow information, like task owner, etc.
Migrateduser
What information do I need to know about a job that's already ended? If I need that info, I would just simply set job variables in the parent during the child job process and that would be that. There's no use to seeing that nonsense in the ToDo list - imagine the **** you have to wade through if you have multiple nested jobs running that have multiple child jobs. It's fine if the child job is still "alive" so that you can get whatever info you might need from a completed job, just don't clutter up the ToDo list with useless information.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
jbonifaci
I know you would set it if you wanted the information, but TeamSite needs to hang on to the information until the parent job is complete. I'm not justifying the behavior, just explaining why it is as it is.
Migrateduser
The behavior I understand, to an extent. The problem is that there's something lingering in the UI (one or more phantom endtasks you can do nothing with) that is both ugly and confusing. I'm just saying don't display that in the ToDo list - if I create a nested job, I should be smart enough to know that I can access the children until the parent ends - I don't need to be reminded by phantom tasks that show up in my (and my customers') UI.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
JonathonG
One saving grace might be that they only show up when you view "All Jobs", something we as developers do quite frequently, but most end users do very rarely (or never).
Still, a good point that it's seemingly unnecessary clutter, and perhaps a good candidate for a feature request.
Jonathon
Interwoven Architecture Consultant
Migrateduser
I agree that most general users would rarely do View All, but I use it all the time. Whenever users have trouble with a job, they notify me and I will not have fun looking through the sea of endtasks that will be there when I'm trying to find their job. The ToDo list is already a bad UI - this only makes it worse. I think I squeeked loud enough for this to be heard over there. I hope someone fixes it eventually.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Dave,
I am happy to report that this problem (46872) has been fixed for the next release of TeamSite (currently identified as 6.1).
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
Migrateduser
YAY!!!!!
I'm doing a happy dance. Look away - it's not pretty.
Thank you, Brinko - this will be a huge help for everyone that uses nested workflow. Awesome news.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com