Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Any limitations that I don't know of?
chrisdutz
Hi,
I am having some trouble again and I don't seem to be able to sort it out. To me it looks as if this might be a Birt Limitation, so I'm asking here. If it is, I can stop breaking my head on this:
- I have a Data Set "A" that contains one column called "metadata" of type "Java Object"
- I have a second Data Set "B", which is a sub-query, that binds to the "metadata" column of Data Set "A". B itself again has a colum called "affected" of type "Java Object"
- In my third Data Set "C" I bind to the "affected" column of Data Set "B" and has a column named "family" of type "Java Object"
All fine up to here ...
- Now I have a fourth Data Set "D" which binds to the "family" column of Data Set "C" ... unfortunatley the Binding allways returns null. I debugged quite a bit into Birt and my DataSet C correctly contains the column data for the "family" column in my Query Birt allways calls "setNill" instead of "setObject". Is this a limitation of Birt, that I just don't know about.
And Yes I know that cascading 4 SQL Queries would usually be a performance-nightmare, but I am not doing SQL Queries. The data returned by the first query is a structured Java POJO model and the sub-queries are evaluated instantaneously without having to query a server ... Just as a remark to anybody tempting to write something like: "don't do that ... it has really bad performance" or something like that ;-)
Chris
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
chrisdutz
Hi,
I am having some trouble again and I don't seem to be able to sort it out. To me it looks as if this might be a Birt Limitation, so I'm asking here. If it is, I can stop breaking my head on this:
- I have a Data Set "A" that contains one column called "metadata" of type "Java Object"
- I have a second Data Set "B", which is a sub-query, that binds to the "metadata" column of Data Set "A". B itself again has a colum called "affected" of type "Java Object"
- In my third Data Set "C" I bind to the "affected" column of Data Set "B" and has a column named "family" of type "Java Object"
All fine up to here ...
- Now I have a fourth Data Set "D" which binds to the "family" column of Data Set "C" ... unfortunatley the Binding allways returns null. I debugged quite a bit into Birt and my DataSet C correctly contains the column data for the "family" column in my Query Birt allways calls "setNill" instead of "setObject". Is this a limitation of Birt, that I just don't know about.
And Yes I know that cascading 4 SQL Queries would usually be a performance-nightmare, but I am not doing SQL Queries. The data returned by the first query is a structured Java POJO model and the sub-queries are evaluated instantaneously without having to query a server ... Just as a remark to anybody tempting to write something like: "don't do that ... it has really bad performance" or something like that ;-)
Chris
mwilliams
Is there any way you can recreate this with a simple example using simple scripted dataSets, so I can run and test the report design? I've not seen this before and don't know of any limitation in this area, but would be interested in taking a look if you can reproduce it.
chrisdutz
Hi,
I'll try to reproduce this with a scripted datasource ... haven't used the scripted datasource very much yet, cause I allways found it a nightmare to debug ;-)
Chris
mwilliams
Oh, I saw that you were using a POJO and figured you were using scripted dataSets. You can recreate the issue however you'd like. It could be with the sample database or flat files or whatever is easiest.