Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Huge Text in List
kosta
Hello BIRT community,
I have one report section where the data are connected to a report item list.
The list hast 2 grouping and also charts in the detail part.
In one of the group footer there is a text report item element. When all those elements are rendered in PDF then the text goes completely on the next page. What I want to do is to keep one part of the text of the current page and the other part should be rendered on the next page.
Then the next complex list element should be renderen after that and so on.
Is that possible?
For any suggestions and advice thank you in advance.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
What is your BIRT version? Any way you can reproduce this in a report that I can run for testing purposes?
kosta
Hello Michael,
I was experimenting with:
- Text
- Dynamic Text
- Data
With the "Dynamic Text" as plain, the text breaks on new page like I am expecting. Changing the content type to "HTML" the text would not to page break inner, means it goes on the next page completely.
With "Data"-report item the text is shown as plain text and that's why the the text itself (inner) breaks on new page.
With "Text"-report item the text is shown as HTML text and that why the the text itself doesn't (inner) breaks on new page. Printing it as plain or auto only the "value-of"-Tags are visible.
This all means I have two ways to represent the text data:
- Plain where I have inner text page breaks but can't use HTML Tags for styling.
- HTML where the text is always one block but can be styled well.
Maybe you know some other way where the text has inner page break and can be styled via HTML tags.
I am using BIRT 2.6.2
Thanks in advance.
kosta
The HTML Text page breaks only if the text itself is larger than one page without to calculated the space of the other components.
Does that means that BIRT is designed that HTML shouldn't be used in lists and tables?
mwilliams
Have you tried using your HTML text in a dynamic textbox, rather than a plain textbox?
kosta
Setting the dynamic textbox to content type HTML ignores the inner pagebreaks of the content. That's the problem what I have tried somehow to describe here.
mwilliams
I wasn't sure if you were talking about an actual dynamic text box from the palette or if you were talking about a text box, using the <value-of> "dynamic text" tag. I thought it sounded like you were just using a text box with the dynamic option, so I asked if you had tried a dynamic textbox. Can you recreate this issue in a way in which I can run the report and attach it in here, so I can test on your design and see exactly what you're doing? Thanks!
kosta
Hi Michael,
thanks for the answers.
For describing this one I ll send here a zip file with 3 files in it.
(
Christopher
<p>Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I've found many posts on the internet about this specific issue but haven't run across any resolutions.
Some additional details: One of my data fields is a CLOB with html tags. I'm using the Dynamic Text Control in my report. This specifically happens when:</p><p> </p><p>(1) The Dynamic Text Control content type is to HTML (or Automatic in my case since I have html tags in the data)
*** and ***</p><p>(2) The total amount of data to be displayed by the control is <strong>more than one full page on its own</strong> (without taking into account spacing used by other controls). If the total amount of data to be displayed by the control is less than one full page but can't all fit on the current page, it displays what it can on the current page and wraps the rest correctly onto the next page.
Is this a bug in the calculation for the DTC pagination?
Additional notes - I encountered this while trying to use the wonderful sample report you posted that inserts a page break as needed between groups for duplex printing. It works great under most circumstances, but not when this DTC pagination issue rears up. ( GroupAlwaysStartsOnOddPage.rptdesign )
BIRT 3.71v20110905</p>
mwilliams
Please log a bug at eclipse.org/birt