Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT upgrade from 2.2 to 3.7
mas_h
Hi,
I have a plan to upgrade my reports from 2.2.1 to 3.7.
I started by saving the existing report in 3.7 version and tried
to launch the report.
But some errors occured like "The type of parameter **** is expected as "string", not "[Ljava.lang.String;".
Do I have to re-do all the reports in 3.7 ? How can I minimize the changes?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
There were definitely platform changes between 2.2 and 3.7, so some reports will not work in an upgrade. Are you not even able to open the report? Or just not run it?
mas_h
I actually manage to solve the previous error. Some parameters are not defined correctly, and 3.7 can indicate there are some problems occured in the parameters, but 2.2 couldn't :-(
Now another issue comes up. It is regarding the German umlaut characters.
In 3.7, the umlaut characters are not displayed correctly. For example, Vordert?r becomes Vordertür, st?rung becomes störung. The problems occured in html, but not pdf. However, when running as pdf, there is error (or should I say WARNING) in the log:
[WARNING] org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.pdf.font.FontConfigReader, {ID}, UniKS-UCS2-H
ExceptionConverter: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: UniKS-UCS2-H
at java.lang.StringCoding$EncoderCache.getEncoder(StringCoding.java:284)
at java.lang.StringCoding.getEncoder(StringCoding.java:454)
at java.lang.StringCoding.encode(StringCoding.java:596)
at java.lang.String.getBytes(String.java:642)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfEncodings.convertToBytes(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.TrueTypeFont.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.BaseFont.createFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.BaseFont.createFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.BaseFont.createFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.FontFactoryImp.getFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.FontFactoryImp.getFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.FontFactory.getFont(Unknown Source)
at com.lowagie.text.FontFactory.getFont(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.pdf.font.FontMappingManagerFactory.createFont(FontMappingManagerFactory.java:525)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.pdf.font.FontMappingManager.createFont(FontMappingManager.java:163)
...
Please help how to fix both. Thanks.
mas_h
Just to add, the UnsupportedEncodingException error appears during first time running the report only, and do not occur on subsequent report generation.
But the improper german umlaut still happen in html.
mwilliams
Are you certain you have the German font installed? In PDF, is the output in the specified font, or does it switch fonts to be able to render the German characters?
mas_h
Hi Micheal,
If I don't have German fonts this problem should have occurred when I used 2.2 right?
But I don't have this problem in 2.2.
Now, if I have a bar chart and a crosstab in one report, the bar chart legends can display them right, but not the crosstab as well as simple text.
mas_h
May be some overview on my application.
I do not use the birt viewer, but I only have a Java EE application and used the BIRT runtime to run the reports.
I tried to deploy the sample birt.war that comes with the runtime download and tried to add a label containing some German characters in the sample report, and the characters are fine in the viewer.
Since I don't use the viewer, is there any setting/configuration needed in order to display the chars correctly?
mwilliams
Charts are displayed as images, so that would be the difference there. Does this happen the same in different browsers?
You might take a look at the fontsConfig.xml under eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.fonts_BIRTversion
There are comments in there that might help you out with any encoding issue you might have.
mas_h
Ok, for the display in html I solved it by setting the encoding to "UTF-8" on the toString(enc) method of ByteArrayOutputStream.
For pdf, warning is still there when first time run the report but the output is in the correct font.
mwilliams
Does the warning appear in the report output? Or just in the log?
mas_h
Just in the log..
mwilliams
Then you can probably just ignore it. You might consider logging a bug for this though, to see what they say.
sugsi
Hi,
I am facing similar problem while displaying special german symbol (?) in birt report rendering page. Its getting properly displayed when i try to export into pdf. I am using birt 2.5.5 version. Can you please tell me the reason for it and how to sort out this problem?
Thanks in Advance.
sugsi
Hi,
I am facing similar problem while displaying special german symbol (?) in birt report rendering page. Its getting properly displayed when i try to export into pdf. I am using birt 2.5.2 version. Can you please tell me the reason for it and how to sort out this problem?
Thanks in Advance.
mwilliams
So, it doesn't work in the web viewer, but it works in PDF? Is this what you're saying?
garysmith
Hello,
I am having the reverse problem where the ? is not properly displaying in my PDF reports. It is showing up as ä for some reason. Any ideas? I've tried everything I could find up to this point, but nothing seems to work.