Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Count the Number of lines Printed
Vineet Joshi
Hi All
I have a detail report which is conditional(there are lot grids and list inside a table) ,i am using pagination technique which fails when report becomes very long .Also i cannot apply manual page break because in some cases it might lead to a lot of White Spaces .
so is it possible to count the number of lines printed, so that i can apply a page break based on that condition.
Regards
Vineet
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Vineet Joshi
Also I am using Birt 2.3.2
Thanks
Vineet
mwilliams
So, are the detail lines not of a fixed height? What is the page break technique you're using? What manual technique are you saying you can't use because it gives you blank pages? Let me know. If you can reproduce the error with the sample database and attach the report in here, that'd be helpful.
Vineet Joshi
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="92791" data-time="1324961986" data-date="26 December 2011 - 09:59 PM"><p>
So, are the detail lines not of a fixed height? What is the page break technique you're using? What manual technique are you saying you can't use because it gives you blank pages? Let me know. If you can reproduce the error with the sample database and attach the report in here, that'd be helpful.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
hi <br />
<br />
have a look at the attached file which is not very similar to my original report but issue is quite same .<br />
In the viewer the Pagination technique works fine but fails in pdf .<br />
<br />
As i dont know how long will the html description(in this report) so i cannot apply page break before or after this.<br />
So my question is ,by any means can we make pagination work in pdf ....
mwilliams
This issue is resolved in the latest version, if you can upgrade. The only way I know to get around this is to calculate an estimate for the number of rows, based on the length of the long text and the width of the column. Then, force a page break in script when you're reaching the threshold that can fit on a page. The issue with this comes when a single row is over a page long, you can't force a page break within an element, so there would be an issue there. The other issue is that depending on the length of the long text, you could still end up with lots of white space. If there's any way you can upgrade to the latest version, that'd be the best!
Vineet Joshi
hi Williams
Thanks For the reply ,but upgrading is not an option.
Thanks any Ways .
regards
Vineet
mwilliams
I can show you an example of calculating the approximate number of lines in a long text to help with page breaking, if you'd like to try to implement it. Let me know.
What is the reason that upgrading is not an option, btw?
Vineet Joshi
hi Williams ,
An Example would be very very helpful .
Upgrading is not an option as we have to upload the report in Maximo ,and our client is not ready for that .
Thanks
Vineet
lrnrit
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="92832" data-time="1325094940" data-date="28 December 2011 - 10:55 AM"><p>
I can show you an example of calculating the approximate number of lines in a long text to help with page breaking, if you'd like to try to implement it. Let me know.<br />
<br />
What is the reason that upgrading is not an option, btw?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Hi Williams,<br />
<br />
Pls Help with an example.
mwilliams
Sorry for the delay. I'll work on a simple example this morning.
As for using BIRT with Maximo. If you were willing to deploy BIRT separately from your Maximo app, you could use the newest version of BIRT and just call your separate BIRT deployed reports from your Maximo app rather than using the older version within it.
mwilliams
Sorry for the delay. The forums have been a bit crazy in the new year! Here is an example I did in 2.5.1 that shows a way to page break multi line text based on a figured number of rows. It also includes a TOC that shows of page numbers work correctly when you force the break rather than accepting the natural break which was a bug back in earlier versions.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you aren't able to change the XML version information to get this to open in 2.3.2.
Vineet Joshi
Hi Mike
Thanks for the Reply....
I am attaching my report .This Report is highly Conditional and i dont know what data is going to come .
Pls see the VISIBILITY Condition on table /grid .
and when the table grows or when we have a very large longdescription(ldtext)the pagination thing fails(in PDF).
Cannot apply page breaks After or Before any Grid as it may lead to white Spaces in particular cases.
So the Question is how shall i make the pagination work .
mwilliams
Yeah, if you have very long texts this workaround will not be that great. It will create lots of white space. Unfortunately that's the best I can suggest besides using a scripted dataSet to separate your long texts into several different dataSet rows so that page breaking works better or upgrading versions. The scripted dataSet would allow you to use the method above in a much nicer looking way when your result set contains very long texts. I could create a simple example showing this, as well, if you don't get what I'm saying (I can be confusing sometimes, probably).
Let me know.
Vineet Joshi
Hi Mike <br />
I am very very very thankful that you are looking into this.i some what understood what u r trying to say :blink: , but <strong class='bbc'>a sample would be very helpful.</strong><br />
<br />
Also I have one more problem<br />
1>Lets consider for a while that ldtext is not very very long but all the grids(detail section) are visible ....so how to make the report decide that its time to apply a page break in PDF .<br />
<br />
<br />
Hope u got me .shall be obliged if look into it ....<br />
<br />
Regards
mwilliams
Sorry for the delayed response. Here is an example that shows kinda what I was talking about. I created a scripted dataSet that is populated using arrays that are filled in the original dataSet. I create a new row in my scripted dataSet for every x amount of characters so that I can use page break intervals, since each row is only one line long. This allows for the page numbers to be correct in PDF when you export from the viewer. Take a look. Let me know if you have questions.