Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Printing to DotMatrix Printer
s_^_s
Hi Experts,
I have reports deployed using the WebViewer. My users wish to print these reports on Text printer (dot matrix).
What would be the recommended way of achieving this?
One way I could think of was if I could get the HtmlEmitter's output html, I can then try to parse it into text and serving that final text to the user.
The other option of building on the lines of csv emitter may get tricky as managing proper/proportionate column widths & maintaining vertical alignment of columnar data while taking care of text wrapping, considering dynamic number of columns is not trivial.
I think this is not a unique scenario, so if anyone knows an existing solution, please point me towards it.
-Regards
Sebastian
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Yaytay
Hi,<br />
<br />
I've been trying to come up with a good solution for this problem, and I've failed
<br />
<br />
The problem is that the task of identifying column widths so that everything lines up has to be done somewhere, and can only be done reliably when all the data for the column is know (apart from in the special case where the data type used in the column could be used to derive the width).<br />
<br />
So the options seem to be:<br />
<ul class='bbc'><li>Write yourself an emitter (a surprisingly complex task given that you'll have to know what to ignore and you'll have to store all the data before outputting anything).</li><li>Go with your suggestion of pushing the HTML output through a text formatter.</li><li>Change your reports so they contain a single text row, and then build up that text yourself so that the column widths are correct - then output that report as CSV.</li></ul>
<br />
Jim
s_^_s
As of now I am doing it the 'dirty' way, intercepting the html output via a servlet filter, and parsing it via elinks and finally serving the 'text' output of elinks.
Wish that this be added as more elegant in-built option in BIRT viewer.