Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Empty space in web viewer output & page numbering issues
JoeO
When I view my reports in the web viewer (iServer or through report designer) there is empty space between my table results and the footer. This might confuse my users thinking that there is only one page, since the detail does not go all the way to the bottom of the page by my footer. The report looks great when printed to PDF, footers and all. I tried playing with the Page Break Interval setting on my table, to no satisfaction.
What is even more confusing is that some times my footer will display "Page 1 of 1" even though there are multiple pages in the top left. If I click over to the second page and then back, the first page footer is properly updated to "Page 1 of 2", but I need this right on the first try! I did notice that if I printed to PDF with the incorrect footer "Page 1 of 1" listed in the web viewer, the PDF has the correct total number of pages. I am using AutoText from the palette for "Page" and "Total Page Count", which are populated in a grid when you drag and drop the "Page n of m" option into your footer.
I am using Actuate BIRT 11SP3 and IE7 web browser. The above issues exist in Google Chrome as well. Any thoughts would help!
Thanks,
-Joe
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Joe,
Can you attach a report, using the sample database, that shows both issues, so I can see it for myself and to test on? Thanks!
JoeO
I have attached a report design with an example of both issues.
Additional notes about the page numbering issue: It seems like this issues only occurs with multi-select parameters and it doesn?t always cause an issue on the first run. After the initial view in the web viewer, select ?parameters? from the main menu (so that the parameters are now at the bottom of the web viewer). Try selecting Shipped and 1 or 2 other statuses, then re-run the report. This usually creates the ?Page 1 of 1? issue in the bottom left. It seems like the footer is being rendered before the table is fully executed.
Thanks again!
mwilliams
My guess is that the 1/1 page number issue is because of the progressive page viewing that the Actuate viewer does. I would call this a bug. Please report this.
As for the other issue, I believe it's because of the fixed layout and the viewer. If you use the auto layout, it looks much better. You can size the columns in your table to keep it from expanding too far in the auto layout. Let me know if that is something that could work for you.
JoeO
Thanks for the quick response. I will file a bug report with Actuate on the page number issue, although I think the auto layout solution may have killed two birds with one stone. If you set the page break interval to 0 with the layout set to auto, the report shows on one page in the web viewer but still looks good when printed to PDF. The only downfall to this method is that it is hard to visualize the layout in the report designer-- but this is irrelevant to the client, so I will just have to deal with it on my end!
Thanks again,
-Joe
mwilliams
You could probably add some script that would change the page break interval based on the output type. This might help you out with the visualization of the viewer output.