I can't believe how bad a memory I have

I know I figured this out before, but then at some point I forgot and now I can't remember what the solution was anymore.
So I have a table with a TableGroup defined. The groups are sorted. How can I limit the number of groups to only the top 3? I've tried defining a topN aggregate on the group, but it doesn't seem to apply the way I want it to. Basically I:
- Have a TableGroup called tg
- Define a TopN aggregate on tg, expression = "1", N = 3. Name that aggregate "MyTop3"
- Add a filter to the TableGroup, set "MyTop3" "IsTrue"
Doesn't work.
I also tried to add a filter to TableGroup for "row.__rownum" <= 3, it doesn't work either.
PS. Elsewhere I had another post where I wanted to limit the number of rows display WITHIN each group. That's another issue, and that is something I do know what to do about.
Thanks!