Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Separating test and release reporting
kmelby
Is the only way to be able to test changes to reports without making any changes to the reports the end-users are already using by having two iServer instances (one for "release" and one for "test")?
When I say test I mean a formal QA through the application, not a preview from the designer.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
johnw
You can do this in either a single or multiple iServer strategy.
The way we have done it in the past is to have a promotion script that will migrate from a staging environment to production. This is done through a series of IDAPI calls. So you can have a source and target, and these can be either the same machine with different paths or 2 different instances of iServer.
The way I am partial to doing this now is with a Unit Test or Functional Test framework, and using a custom XML emitter that keeps the same structure as a formatted report output, it just strips the formatting. This way I can test the results and have the unit tests leverage the report engine API for testing the output. This should idealy be used in conjunction with a staging environment so that you are seperating your unit tests from your functional and acceptance tests.
kosta
This idea of testing is very interesting. Writing own XML emmiter for the data to use them later in a junits is something remarkable but I can imagine very efficient. Maybe a blog about that would be very useful for the community.
johnw
I'll type something up