Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
how to revert back if branch is deleted
syzack
hi
I have a main branch under which multiple sub branches and multiple workareas were created. In case if main branch is deleted is there any way to revert back to the main branch
regds
zackriya
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
restore from backup.
If you delete the branch - you delete it from the backing store - and there is (as far as I know) no way other than restoration from backup to restore that branch.
As you indicate the deletion of "main" (/default/main ?) - it sounds to me like you would have lost the entire contents of your backing store. If it were a sub-branch you would still have to restore from backup - but you would have to overwrite all the other branches too (the backing store is the backing store - it's not a branch-per-branch kind of thing).
In the case of a sub-branch - if you have purchased MultiStore - you could restore the old backing store to an alternate store and then potentially migrate it back into the main store.
I won't ask how this happened ...
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
syzack
you had mentioned
"If you delete the branch - you delete it from the backing store - and there is (as far as I know) no way other than restoration from backup to restore that branch."
can u tell me how to restore the branch from the backup, i guess the backup u r mentioning is iw-store,
jbonifaci
The backing store is iw-store. By backup he is referring to your companies nightly/weekly/monthly file system backup of iw-store. If you don't currently have a backup system, your branch is more than likely beyond recovery. You might try opening a support case and Engineering might be able to pull something out of their sleeves, but other than that I think you're out of luck.
Jeff Bonifaci
Globalization_wp_1101.pdf
Migrateduser
One really nice feature of TeamSite 5.5 is that you can restore your backup (if any) to a different location than the active backing store and have TS serve both your active backing store and your restored backup at the same time. This would allow you to migrate content from your restored backup to the active backing store very easily, without any reversion of the active backing store. So if you do have a backup, you'll want to look into doing this rather than just restore over the active backing store, wiping out changes since the backup was made.
We've used this feature to test backup/restore capability. It allows the restore to be examined without disrupting users, who are concerned only with the active backing store.
syzack
hi,
Can you tell me how to automate the restoration process of transferring the files from teamsite to the backing store.is there any article which deals with it...
regards
zackriya
Migrateduser
The notes for doing this are about 1500mi away. But I'll see if I can come up with clear instructions for it once people start getting in to the office in CA. However, the important part is just not to restore over the top of your existing backing store to recover deleted content, unless you're prepared to lose the changes made since the backup.
To provide automation, I'd have to know what your backup/restore program(s) are. Since I don't know that, the best I can do is tell you that just about any program works. I was using 'tar' to produce off-site backups and 'cp -pr' for on-site (different host, different filesystem) backup. We haven't gone through enough restores to automate that process. As scared as I was at every step doing restores to test backups, it would be nice to have it automated - if somebody else wrote the program ;-> Doing a restore when you haven't lost the active backing store, and don't want to, can be nerve wracking. That's why I had the data restored to a different filesystem. Then we found out we could have TS serve both the original and the restore simultaneously.