Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Hiding elements confuses page break
ernstjan
Hi everybody,
I think the following is a bug in BIRT, but I hope someone can proof me wrong so I can fix my report.
When hiding an element in a table cell, the height of this element seems to be used for the calculation of the number of table rows that can be displayed on a page.
When I hide an element the height of the row decreases but the number of rows stays the same, this results in whitespace between the table and the footer.
Is this a known problem, or is this expected behaviour and can I do something else to get the table to fill the page?
Ernst-Jan
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
What is your version? Also, are you hiding the element within the row? Or are you hiding the actual row? If hiding the element and not the row, try hiding the row. If you're outputting to PDF and want the page to be filled, set the page break interval to 0 and set your report layout to fixed.
ernstjan
Thank you for your quick response.
I'm using BIRT 3.7. I'm trying to hide an element in a row. I've attached a sample design that demonstrates the problem. I've hidden the description of the product, but when displaying the report in the web viewer, you can see that the table only takes half of the page. I want it to take up the complete page.
Of course this is a contrived example. But I use it to emulate the suppress duplicate functionality. I have to emulate it because I *do* want to show the duplicates in a csv export.
I hope I better described the issue
mwilliams
If you choose to hide for all outputs, instead of just some, it works as expected, in this example. What criteria are you hiding the element on, in your actual report?
ernstjan
I hide the element if the output format is pdf or html (to suppress duplicate values). I show in csv/excel output.
This is needed because I have a lot of the same values which clutters the display. But the report is also used for analysis in excel. The excel sheet should contain all information on every row.
ernstjan
Hi All,
I've still got the problem with hiding elements for html/pdf output. Does anyone knows a good workaround for this?
Kind regards,
Ernst-Jan
mwilliams
Sorry for the delay. Try it this way, instead. Take a look at the onCreate script in the element you're trying to hide.
ernstjan
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="99475" data-time="1334933790" data-date="20 April 2012 - 07:56 AM"><p>
Sorry for the delay. Try it this way, instead. Take a look at the onCreate script in the element you're trying to hide.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Than you very much for your answer. But it doesn't work in my situation
. We use the BIRT servlet viewer to first render the report to html and then export it to csv. This means I only can hide/show elements at render time. This is to late ...<br />
<br />
No I'm going to see if I can add a button to the BIRT viewer, or change the action for exporting to re-run the report. This will have a negative impact on the performance because the data is also fetched twice. But I can't think about a different solution.<br />
<br />
Thanks for your suggestions,<br />
Ernst-Jan
mwilliams
Ah, yeah, exporting rather than running in that output originally does throw a different twist in there. Please log a bug for this in the Eclipse.org bugzilla and post the bug info in here for future reference. Thanks!