Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Last Column Truncated When Viewed Via IE
yrraja
HI
I have a report in which i am showing a table with multiple columns. This report opens up fine in Firefox, Safari and Chrome but in Internet Explorer the last column is getting truncated. Only about 25% of the last column is visible. Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks
yrraja
BIRT 3.7.2
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Can you reproduce this with the sample database so I can test?
yrraja
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="99125" data-time="1334603410" data-date="16 April 2012 - 12:10 PM"><p>
Can you reproduce this with the sample database so I can test?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Please find attached a test report with this issue. It opens up fine in Chrome, Firefox and Safari but when you open it in IE8 the last column will only be around 15% visible.<br />
<br />
Thanks
yrraja
The issue is reproducible with IE7 as well.
yrraja
I have tried with fonts Ariel, Times New Roman and Sans Serif but same issue is reproducible.
I have checked that the width of the text is exactly the same in FireFox and IE. However, the width of each of the columns is slightly more in IE as compared to FireFox. It seems that there is a fixed amount of padding being added in each of the columns by IE. Due to this addition in each of the columns width the total table width exceeds the page width.
Any ideas why this is happening?
yrraja
Another Update:
This issue is not specific to US Legal page size or the orientation of the page. I have been able to reproduce the issue with the default A4 Portrait layout as well. The more columns you have in your table more obvious this issue will be.
I have found that this issue is coming up because IE adds the padding value to the column width. For example if the column width was defined as 100 and padding was defined as 5 then IE will render the column with width 105 where as all other browsers will render the column with width 100. Due to this difference the columns are wider in IE as compared to other browsers. Refer to following link for more detail:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=280950
Removing the padding altogether from the report should fix this issue but that will disturb the current formatting of the reports. I guess this needs to be fixed in the Birt Viewer so that logic is added to handle this difference.
Anyone know of any hack that i can do in the birt web viewer to handle this issue?
Thanks.
mwilliams
You can grab the name of the browser that's being used with something like the following in a HTML text box:<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
<div id="browser"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
text = "<p>Browser Name: " + navigator.appName + "</p>";
document.getElementById("browser").innerHTML=text;
</script>
</pre>
<br />
This code will just display the browser name in your report, but you could check this value for "Microsoft Internet Explorer" and possibly adjust your column widths in client side script when you get IE as the value, as a workaround.
yrraja
Thanks for this tip. It should work but adding this logic in all my reports will take time... I will see how to add this in the most critical ones.
Don't you think birt viewer should have this fix? I see that there is code in various javascripts under webcontent/birt/ajax/ making tweaks based on the browser being used. May a tweak for this issue also needs to be added there.
Thanks
mwilliams
Yeah, it's definitely not an ideal solution. If you find the place to add something like that in just one place in the js files in there, that'd be a great thing to know. You can log a bug for this in the eclipse.org bugzilla and see what they say. If you find the workaround for the js and supply it to them in your bug report, they'd probably look at putting it in the next version.
yrraja
Thanks a lot Michael for your guidance. I will log a bug for this issue.
yrraja
FYI the bug id is 377292
mwilliams
Thanks for the update!