I see another thread (
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/forum/index.php/topic/25317-pass-parametervalue-to-data-set-by-drop-down-list/) with some similar points, but I have more questions which may not be the same as his, and plus I don't want to hijack his thread, so here goes. I have one report, with 2 problems:
Problem 1:
Upon starting the report, I need to read an environment value (something pretty easy to do in Java) to pick the right dataset (there are 2), and also to hide/unhide a particular column in a table (to match the dataset selected). I only know how to set dataset parameters, and don't know how to read the runtime variable and then make the dataset "adapt" to it (as well as hide/unhide a column)
Problem 2:
Once the report is already displayed, I need to show a combo box (dropdown selector) where users can select a value and then click "Run Again", at which point I should do the dataset-selecting and hide/unhide of column again. The dropdown should be on the same page as the main report (with the table) itself.
(This problem is a bit similar to the problem in the post I quoted above).
I guess this is a bit too much for a fully-working set of (sample) code, so I'll appreciate any pointers. My guess is that some javascript will be required, but I'm not sure where to start. The docs don't have anything close to this (at least not that I know of).
Thanks!