Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Parameter dependence
GyJ
Hi All,
Being quite new to BIRT I would like to ask you whether or not it is possible to do the following with two sets of parameters. The first parameter would select to run the report on monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis, while the second parameter would display a selection list according to the choice of the first parameter.
E.g. if the user select quarterly as the first parameter, the second parameter would display in a list e.g. Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 as possible options or similarly if the user would go for the half-yearly option as first parameter choice, the second parameter list would display H1 and H2 as available choices. In the dataset I have a table with columns named monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and yearly having the relevant content of e.g. Q1, Q2 ... for quarters or H1, H2 for halves.
In case this question would not make any sense, and you are still kind enough to respond, I could rephrase it or provide some example demonstrating my problem.
Thanks a lot and best regards, Janos
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
icirillo
You should be able to do that with cascading parameters.
I have attached a very simple example using birt-report-designer-all-in-one-3_7_2 and classic models DB.
GyJ
Tubal
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'GyJ'" data-cid="99777" data-time="1335766991" data-date="29 April 2012 - 11:23 PM"><p>
GyJ
Hi Tubal,
Thanks a lot for your response. The Sales column means sales figure in the given period but that is just an example for e.g. averaging or for other aggregated computation.
Your data proposal would be a clear case for cascading parameters for sure. However, it would mean that I need to compute all quarterly, half-yearly and yearly figures, which could occasionally be tricky for several years of data.
So far I have four similar but still different reports for the different time granularity. I am hoping to reduce the number of reports from four to one with this not exactly cascading parameter selection. In technical terms, the first question from the user would be which column (my original excel) we choose from and the second would be to read the content of the selected column and display its content to the user for another (from - to) choice. Then the aggregation would go by the user selections. I can do the first choice so far, but when the parameter input dialogue is open the content of the selected column is not updated. Any idea for that?
Thanks a lot and best regards, Janos
Tubal
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'GyJ'" data-cid="99866" data-time="1335938827" data-date="01 May 2012 - 11:07 PM"><p>
Hi Tubal,<br />
<br />
Thanks a lot for your response. The Sales column means sales figure in the given period but that is just an example for e.g. averaging or for other aggregated computation. <br />
<br />
Your data proposal would be a clear case for cascading parameters for sure. However, it would mean that I need to compute all quarterly, half-yearly and yearly figures, which could occasionally be tricky for several years of data. <br />
<br />
So far I have four similar but still different reports for the different time granularity. I am hoping to reduce the number of reports from four to one with this not exactly cascading parameter selection. In technical terms, the first question from the user would be which column (my original excel) we choose from and the second would be to read the content of the selected column and display its content to the user for another (from - to) choice. Then the aggregation would go by the user selections. I can do the first choice so far, but when the parameter input dialogue is open the content of the selected column is not updated. Any idea for that?<br />
<br />
<br />
Thanks a lot and best regards, Janos<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
You could still use the cascading parameter with your current dataset, but your parameter would always have 4 levels.<br />
<br />
Year, Half, Quarter, Period.<br />
<br />
Each level they selected, would filter the next level.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure how your dataset is set up, but you could try it and see what happened if say you only selected the first parameter, Year, and left the others blank. It would either error out, or give you all the data from that year.