Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT Viewer empty after processing dialog disappears (Linux)
bulbasaur
Hi All, I have a requirement to create a multi-page birt report that is quite data intensive, rptdesign >3mb, rptdoc generated >100mb (depending on date range queried)<br />
<br />
I have deployed BIRT viewer on my local windows PC and after "Processing, Please Wait...." disappears, nothing would be shown on the preview page, only buttons available. I am only able to export the data to CSV (surprisingly). Does this mean my rptdocument is working, but the preview can't be generated? <br />
<br />
Occasionally, the below error would appear in the ReportEngine logs after a very long time (15mins?)<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunTask doRun
SEVERE: There is insufficient memory to execute this report.</pre>
<br />
I have solved the problem on my local PC by increasing tomcat 7 heap (1gb) and permgen (512mb) size. However, when i deploy to my linux machine (with plenty of RAM), i can't seem to work around this issue regardless of the increase! (tried 10gb for heap and 4gb for permgen)<br />
<br />
Here are the specs:<br />
BIRT 3.7<br />
Tomcat 7<br />
Java 1.6<br />
<br />
I would like to consult you guys on what steps should I take next to debug my linux instance... Thanks for helping!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Are you setting the permsize in the tomcat startup like:
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
Jason
bulbasaur
Yup, added this to CATALINA_OPTS for tomcat: <br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>-server -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m</pre>
<br />
I also verified that tomcat was started with these parameters appended on linux process list...
JasonW
Can you open a bugzilla request for this? Will you be able to supply the report and rptdocument?
Jason
bulbasaur
I'm unable to supply to report/rptdoc due to business sensitivity. How can I open the bugzilla request?
JasonW
Take a look at the bugzilla category on this link:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/community.php
Jason
bulbasaur
Last try before I turn to the bugzilla report...<br />
<br />
When i switch logging to FINEST, the report stops at executeQuery()<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement PreparedStatement
FINER: RETURN org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement@3eb94bd7
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Connection prepareStatement(String,String,QuerySpecification)
FINER: RETURN org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement@3eb94bd7
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement setProperty
FINER: ENTRY rowFetchSize null
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement doSetProperty
FINER: ENTRY rowFetchSize null
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement doSetProperty
FINER: RETURN
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement setProperty
FINER: RETURN
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement setProperty
FINER: ENTRY queryTimeOut null
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement doSetProperty
FINER: ENTRY queryTimeOut null
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement doSetProperty
FINER: RETURN
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement setProperty
FINER: RETURN
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement declareCustomColumn
FINER: ENTRY _{$TEMP_SORT_0$}_ class java.math.BigDecimal
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement resetCurrentResultAndMetaData
FINER: ENTRY
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement resetCurrentResultAndMetaData
FINER: RETURN
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement getProjectedColumns
FINER: ENTRY
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement getRuntimeMetaData
FINER: ENTRY
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.Statement getMetaData
FINEST: Statement.getMetaData( )
Jun 1, 2012 5:09:39 PM org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.Statement executeQuery
FINER: Statement.executeQuery( )</pre>
<br />
Also, I realized that BIRT Viewer frameset function reposts to itself via SOAP request. The response after "Processing" dialog disappears is this...<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Length: 732
</pre>
<br />
Any clues as to what might have went wrong? Thanks again...
JasonW
I am not ceratin what is happening here.
Jason