Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Left Navigation Tree on DCT view
sunil_j
Hi,
Is there some way I can hide the Left Navigation tree on the Data Capture Template screen ?
Thanx
Sunil
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
This works in recent IE, I don't know about anything else. You probably want to show navigation (I think 25%) on save, then hide again on save done, in case there is a validation error.
I know I have code somewhere that uses named frames instead of numbered, but I can't find it.
function hideNavigation()
{
window.parent.document.getElementsByTagName("frameset")[1].cols="0%,*";
return( true );
}
Migrateduser
John,
Where would you place the code to customize the template? In the DCT ? or in a IW js file somewhere? Is there a file I can place the function so it is always available? Where do I put the call to the function?
For our purposes, I don't think there is a need to show the left frame during save. If the user wants to see it they can open it up. However, we'd like it to default to 0%.
Gary
Migrateduser
I usually put it in IWHOME/iw/formAPIfunctions.js. Then in each template you have to reference that js file. I actually do this with an inline, since I use an inline in all DCTs to create fields for collecting Metadata. But it would look like this in each template (I don't think there is any way you do this without code in the DCTs without modifying the base product):
<script language="javascript" location="webserver" src="/iw/formAPIfunctions.js"/>
<script><![CDATA[
hideNavigation();
]]></script>
Hopefully Interwoven is listening - I think very few customers like thar left-nav in templating.
Migrateduser
John,
Thanks much for your help! I got it working.
I also hope IW is listening. I did open a case with them on this issue. They were unable to provide a solution but did record my request for enhancements to templating including this.
Gary
Wendy
I created the formAPIfunctions.js file but I'm not sure how to reference it in the datacapture.cfg file. I've tried various things and nothing works. Can someone please give me an example?
Thanks
Migrateduser
If you put it in the same directory as your DCT (which you should only do for testing), reference it like:
<script language="javascript" location="template-type" src="formAPIfunctions.js"/>
I think it matters where in your DCT it goes - I put this right within the ruleset tag. Also make sure you have formapi enabled in iw.cfg and have iwreset -ui since then.
Migrateduser
The enhancement request you refer to has already been completed for TeamSite 6.0. Check out:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/site.fcgi/webcasts/index.html
Please be advised that changing jsps prior to 6.0 is not supported, and SPs and new releases will overwrite your changes upon installation.
I know there have been other threads that mention this.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
Interesting, my client has been explicity told by Interwoven not to implement 6.x at this time. And this is a FormAPI workaround that *should* be supported, not a mod to a core jsp.
Migrateduser
Hi John,
Who is your client and who is telling you not to implement TS 6? Was this an Interwoven person? Did they give a specific reason?
Feel free to contact me directly,
David Yun
Product Manager, Client Tools
dyun@interwoven.com
Michael
Perhaps this is just a technicality, but imho the code you supplied isn't formAPI; its just regular JavaScript.
I don't think Interwoven needs to be supporting any custom JavaScript directlyl accessing the DOM. ... however it would be nice to have the facility provided via the formAPI interface. I would have preferred them to put some events on replicants though instead
Just my 2 cents / playing devil's advocate
Cheers
Michael
ela
Hi John,
I had it working when in same directory as the DCT, but not when saving and referencing to /app/teamsite/iw-home/httpd/iw/formAPIfunctions.js (not even with all permissions for the file). Got a clue?
Thanks,
Eldbjoerg
Migrateduser
I can't answer the first two but the comment was that it needed more testing.
Migrateduser
But isn't FormAPI just some JavaScript functions/objects? I mean, you can't use FormAPI without writing JavaScript. I realize it manipluates the DOM and may not work in some browsers (I think I even commented on that in a thread or in the code), and it may not work in a future release where they have gotten rid of this clutter, but I think anyone using a browser other than recent IE with TeamSite is setting themselves up for problems and this solution is specific to 5.5. Everybody wants it - it has to be done some way and manipulating the JSPs is probably the wrong way.
area break.JPG
Michael
Another 2 cents worth...
FormAPI is obviously JavaScript -- however it is providing a defined framework / interface. If you code your template functionality according to the documented FormAPI spec then when you upgrade (or patch) Interwoven 'should' support all your code -- in as much that it should still work, or it should be documented if the release / patch / service pack is going to break anything.
On the other hand if you access the DOM directly (as per the posted code) then Interwoven may well change their DOM as often as they like and not have to worry about you and your code -- as long as the published formAPI spec still works -- they are free to change how the formAPI is implemented behind the scenes.
I guess this is fine as long as you are willing to accept that each time you change anything you need to retest your unsupported code -- and that due to circumstances outside your control you may not be able to provide that solution in later releases...
Either way you are stuck between what the package provides and what your users demand -- best part of the job
Cheers
Michael
ela
just wanted to confirm that I got it solved with good help from John. I just had to use src="/iw/formAPIfunctions.js".
Thanks,
Eldbjoerg
pran
Does any body know, how to hide this left navigation frame in browsers other than IE ?
gzevin
just a little note - in 6.1 one could 'enable' the left tree back.
however, as usual, it's full of bugs (as the whole new templating interface)
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU