Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Joint data set using different data sources
thhal
I have two different data sources that I want to join in a data set. The rows of one table contains values that I want to use for looking up rows in another table (from the other data source). I can create a joint data set and that works OK but it's very slow and unless I configure the JVM with a very large amount of memory it fails.
In a Java program I would solve the problem by using a parameter when looking up rows in the second table. The value of the parameter would be set from one of the columns in the first table. This approach is very quick and consumes very little memory.
I bet there's some way I can do this with BIRT but I haven't been able to find a good example. Any pointer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Thomas Hallgren
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
If the lookup dataSet uses SQL, you could use a table bound to that dataSet embedded into a table bound to your lookup key dataSet. In the inner table's dataSet, you'd use a dataSet parameter (?) to limit the dataSet based on the lookup value. Then, you'd select your embedded table in your layout, click on the binding tab of the property editor, and click on the dataSet parameter binding button. Here, you can set it up to pass the lookup value from the outer table to the query for the inner table. Hope this helps.
thhal
Very helpful indeed. Thanks.
mwilliams
Great! Glad to help! Let us know whenever you have questions!