Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Design in Windows - Run on Linux
rtruban
Hello,
We are having problems running reports with BIRT 3.7 Report Viewer Web App. It is deployed to TomCat on a Linux box. The reports are being designed with BIRT 3.7 Report Designer on Windows.
Reports run fine from the Report Designer but when we move the report design files to the web server and attempt to run the report, no data shows up. Charts and tables do not show up, but the titles and other non-data elements are rendered normally. It does not throw an error and the JDBC Driver is in the correct place in the WEB-INF/lib directory.
Before we go too crazy trying to troubleshoot I thought I would check and see if we need to do something special when deploying to TomCat on Linux. Has anyone designed on Windows and deployed to Linux successfully? And if so is there anything special that needs to be done? I have deployed 100's of reports to Windows boxes before with no issues like this...
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
I don't think there is anything special that needs to be done. What is the database you're using? I'll ask around to see if anyone knows better than I.
Yaytay
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'rtruban'" data-cid="105411" data-time="1340903344" data-date="28 June 2012 - 10:09 AM"><p>
Before we go too crazy trying to troubleshoot I thought I would check and see if we need to do something special when deploying to TomCat on Linux. Has anyone designed on Windows and deployed to Linux successfully? And if so is there anything special that needs to be done? I have deployed 100's of reports to Windows boxes before with no issues like this...<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
We do this all the time.<br />
<br />
There are a couple of gotchas:<br />
<ul class='bbc'><li> Fonts - Most Linux boxes (especially the headles ones) have no fonts at all installed, you'll need to find yourself some decent fonts available on both Windows and Linux.</li><li> Paths - Obviously any paths in the reports themselves are going to be wrong.</li></ul>
<br />
Missing charts is often a problem with the way the Linux application is written - are you using a custom reporting application or eclipse?<br />
<br />
Jim
rtruban
Thanks for the ideas Jim! The fonts are definitely a possibility. Although on a couple of the reports I am seeing errors that indicate the web server may not be able to connect our oracle server. The web server is a 'headless' box with none of the Graphical Interface stuff turned on. We have to do everything from the command line which makes it a little harder to troubleshoot since I can't install the Linux version of the Report Designer to see how it behaves...<br />
<br />
To answer the question, we are not doing anything custom to the Web Viewer and we are using the all-in-one version of the report designer as provided.<br />
<br />
Thanks again! <br />
<br />
Rob <br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Yaytay'" data-cid="105525" data-time="1341048205" data-date="30 June 2012 - 02:23 AM"><p>
We do this all the time.<br />
<br />
There are a couple of gotchas:<br />
<ul class='bbc'><li> Fonts - Most Linux boxes (especially the headles ones) have no fonts at all installed, you'll need to find yourself some decent fonts available on both Windows and Linux.</li><li> Paths - Obviously any paths in the reports themselves are going to be wrong.</li></ul>
<br />
Missing charts is often a problem with the way the Linux application is written - are you using a custom reporting application or eclipse?<br />
<br />
Jim<br /></p></blockquote>