Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
To access data using REST based web services as data source.
akshatha_k
Hi,
There is a need to create data sets and then generate charts using web services(REST based) as data source. Let me know what is the process that should be followed as I could not find any documentation.
Thanks,
Akshatha
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
You're probably looking at writing a new ODA or using a scripted dataSource, to do this. I could be wrong, though. I have not attempted this, so this is just a best guess.
akshatha_k
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="107588" data-time="1343311421" data-date="26 July 2012 - 07:03 AM"><p>
You're probably looking at writing a new ODA or using a scripted dataSource, to do this. I could be wrong, though. I have not attempted this, so this is just a best guess.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Thank you for replying
<br />
<br />
I want to know about which is possible out of the two points mentioned below.<br />
(For accessing data by using REST based Web Services as a data Source)<br />
<br />
1. Whether there is any direct way of accessing data by simply following the procedure of selecting a data source as web services and then entering the URL or location value.<br />
<br />
or<br />
<br />
2. Should a new ODA or a scripted data Source be written.<br />
Please do provide any link or document which might help in writing a new ODA or scripted data Source.
akshatha_k
Please give us some inputs regarding this as soon as possible since, we are working on some critical resource.
Thanks,
Akshatha
mwilliams
If you go into the designer and go to New -> Project. Under BIRT, you'll see report project and the two ODA wizard projects, one for the designer and one for the runtime. You can use those projects to get you started on creating the ODA. For more help on making a new web service ODA, you can then download the source for the current web service ODA and use it as a guide.
As for connecting to a web service in java/javascript. Here are a few pages that might help you out.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/index-137171.html
https://blogs.oracle.com/enterprisetechtips/entry/implementing_restful_web_services_in
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Accessing_RESTful_Web_Services_with_JavaScript
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brunoterkaly/archive/2011/11/17/how-to-consume-restful-services-using-jquery-and-or-javascript.aspx
akshatha_k
Thanks for the reply. The information regarding ODA was helpful. But, probably we are looking something different. Here it goes:
In BIRT we have an option to create a 'Web Services Datasource'. But this option is providing only web service through SOAP and WSDL and not through REST. Is there any similar way to create a datasource in such a way?
Regards,
Akshatha
mwilliams
Unfortunately, the stock web service ODA is for Soap and wsdl. You'd have to build the RESTful web service ODA or connect and handle the XML response in a scripted dataSet.
bimbobruno
I've created my own oda driver and it is downloadable from
https://github.com/bfortunato/birtrest
Just use a rest url as query.
The result must be a json array
knlgetter
Hi, bimbobruno, how do I install your plugins to my eclipse? Thanks.<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'bimbobruno'" data-cid="114837" data-time="1362562428" data-date="06 March 2013 - 02:33 AM"><p>
I've created my own oda driver and it is downloadable from <a class='bbc_url' href='
https://github.com/bfortunato/birtrest'>https://github.com/bfortunato/birtrest</a><br
/>
<br />
Just use a rest url as query.<br />
The result must be a json array<br /></p></blockquote>