Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Masterpage with content on the left side?
Ima Pojo
Hi everybody,
I develop reports in BIRT for a few months and took over an existing project for layout modification. First it looked very easy, but now I really found no easy solution for my problem.
I have a rptdesign for bank confirmations with a simple masterpage including header and footer. Header and footer repeat on every new page, with running page number and some text. This is no problem. Now there must be something similar on left(!) of the masterpage; there, where the left margin is. There I want to situate some signs that will be in future used by the customer as control characters.
The bank confirmation can go over one page and those control characters must repeat. For the first page a special constellation of signs, for pages > 1 another one.
Actually I have found no way for creating a left "header" or something else for the masterpage. Or maybe I cannot use the masterpage for this? I also tried to situate free text labels (hmmm... can they be free one?) using a design handle but this actually does not work.
I would be happy if anyone have some ideas.
Thank you very much!
Greetings from Germany
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
I've seen a similar question before, but I don't know that there's really a good solution. The current masterpage setup allows for only a top and bottom header. You could potentially use two separate masterpages and background images, but I don't know how dynamic this would be. The last time I encountered this, I think we ended up using a group header or detail row to display the image, but the image needed in this case was just a tiny dash, for printing purposes. What are you needing to show? Could you show a screen shot? Maybe we can figure something out.
Ima Pojo
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109154" data-time="1347314410" data-date="10 September 2012 - 03:00 PM"><p>
I've seen a similar question before, but I don't know that there's really a good solution. The current masterpage setup allows for only a top and bottom header. You could potentially use two separate masterpages and background images, but I don't know how dynamic this would be. The last time I encountered this, I think we ended up using a group header or detail row to display the image, but the image needed in this case was just a tiny dash, for printing purposes. What are you needing to show? Could you show a screen shot? Maybe we can figure something out.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Hi Michael,<br />
<br />
thank you for your answer and thank you all for this community here :-)! <br />
<br />
Indeed I read in some posts that the master page is limited. In the end I solved the problem in another way. I used two master pages (as you said), for the first page of the confirmation a single master page and for the rest a special master page. The first master page was empty, all the border information was set on the layout page. It is okay I think so. <br />
<br />
In my case the first confirmation page looks always the same, so the report items that does not fit on the first printed page, got a page break property with the second paster page. Here I put the control characters in the header. I was lucky that the control characters does not cut as strong in the left border as I first thought.<br />
<br />
By the way (I): During looking for tips I found a post that discriped a similar case. But in that case the number of maximal report pages is known, so it is not a general solution: <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8402676/dynamic-background-image-on-every-page-of-birt-report'>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8402676/dynamic-background-image-on-every-page-of-birt-report</a><br
/>
<br />
By the way (II): In the "<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/ref/rom/elements/GraphicMasterPage.html'>Eclipse
BIRT Report Object Model (ROM)</a>" I found the GraphicMasterPage element. In the description I read:<br />
<br />
"A graphic master page describes a physical page free-form page "decoration". The decoration can include simple headers and footers, but can also include content within the left and right margins, as well as watermarks under the content area. [...]". <br />
<br />
What about that? I am not sure if this element ist supported by Report engine and report designer. Do you have experiences with that?<br />
<br />
Greetings and all the best!
mwilliams
I was pretty certain that graphical master pages were not yet supported, but wasn't sure, so I tried to add one to a report design and got this error:
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion failed: Graphic master page is not supported now!
So, that answers that!
Ima Pojo
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109329" data-time="1347571631" data-date="13 September 2012 - 02:27 PM"><p>
I was pretty certain that graphical master pages were not yet supported, but wasn't sure, so I tried to add one to a report design and got this error:<br />
<br />
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion failed: Graphic master page is not supported now!<br />
<br />
So, that answers that!
<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Great - thank you :-)<br />
Actually I have a little pause of creating reports with BIRT. But when I need help again: You will see me here :-)
mwilliams
Sounds good!