Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Why so many date-time datapoints on chart?
lexthang
I have a pretty basic area chart (but the behavior is the same with line chart or even bar chart). I have the X-axis bound to a date-time column. There are only two data points in the database, so I was expecting to see only 2 points on the X-axis. But I'm seeing 5-6 of them! Why?
I guess it has something to do with the data type of the X-axis being date-time (the data type in the db is date-time). When I switch it to text then I only see 2 data points as expected. Problem is, if I switch to text then I can no longer format the label to be of a short date-time label. I want the label to read "9/5/12" instead of "09-05-2012 18:45:39".
Even if I have to switch to Text later, I'm still curious about this behavior. Why does it show so many time labels?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lexthang
I just found out that if I check the box "Is Category Axis" (first screenshot), then I'll get two data points as expected. Still not sure why there will be 6 originally (why would that ever make sense?) but at least I know what to do now.
mwilliams
The repeating for the non category axis is probably because each axis value had a different time, but since you formatted the label to not show this, it looked like it was repeating. After you selected isCategoryAxis, it would have only showed the values from your dataSet. Hope this helps explain it, a little.