Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Multilevel Bullets numbering in BIRT report
sribk2012
I wanted to add bullets to my report ( format : word).
Eg.
1. some text
1.1some text1
1.2some text2
Is there any easy way of doing this?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'sribk2012'" data-cid="109138" data-time="1347041169" data-date="07 September 2012 - 11:06 AM"><p>
I wanted to add bullets to my report ( format : word). <br />
Eg. <br />
1. some text<br />
1.1some text1<br />
1.2some text2<br />
<br />
Is there any easy way of doing this?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Sounds like this cannot be achieved in BIRT??. I have not seen any sample after googling for last 2 days !
mwilliams
What does your data look like? Can you show a small sample and what you would want the output to be like?
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109200" data-time="1347398188" data-date="11 September 2012 - 02:16 PM"><p>
What does your data look like? Can you show a small sample and what you would want the output to be like?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
I want to do multinumbering bullets(same as word) in BIRT<br />
<br />
1. Test data 1<br />
1.1. XYZ<br />
1.1.1. JGHGHFDGFD<br />
1.1.2. SHGHGFDD<br />
1.1.3. HFHGDFGFDD<br />
1.2. ABC<br />
2. Test Data 2<br />
1.1. QWER<br />
1.1.1. HDFDGFD<br />
1.1.2. SJHGSGS<br />
1.1.2.1. SHDGHGDFFD<br />
1.1.2.2. DHDGGFDGD<br />
1.1.2.3. DDDFCDGDD<br />
1.1.3. SJHFSFDSSS<br />
1.2. DFGH<br />
3. Test Data 3<br />
1.1. HGFDA<br />
1.2. JJHGSS
mwilliams
What does your data look like though? What would the above data look like in your dataSet? How do you know what level an element is at and which element it belongs under. You'll likely have to create a computed column to make a field that creates the "bullet numbering" value, based on the level and parent info.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109266" data-time="1347508485" data-date="12 September 2012 - 08:54 PM"><p>
What does your data look like though? What would the above data look like in your dataSet? How do you know what level an element is at and which element it belongs under. You'll likely have to create a computed column to make a field that creates the "bullet numbering" value, based on the level and parent info.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
These are all static text. The generated word report does not show as bullets instead it is showing as just text.
mwilliams
Well, my question is how do you know what level it's on? Does your data tell you a parentID or anything?
Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're wanting to know. If you're wanting to know if there's a standard feature that does this, unfortunately, there is not. I was wanting to know what your data looks like so I could help you make this type of numbering.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109459" data-time="1347914230" data-date="17 September 2012 - 01:37 PM"><p>
Well, my question is how do you know what level it's on? Does your data tell you a parentID or anything?<br />
<br />
Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're wanting to know. If you're wanting to know if there's a standard feature that does this, unfortunately, there is not. I was wanting to know what your data looks like so I could help you make this type of numbering.<br /></p></blockquote>
oh!. my mistake. Please see the corrected one. <br />
<br />
1. Test data 1<br />
1.1. XYZ<br />
1.1.1. JGHGHFDGFD<br />
1.1.2. SHGHGFDD<br />
1.1.3. HFHGDFGFDD<br />
1.2. ABC<br />
1.2.1. HDFDGFD<br />
1.2.2. SJHGSGS<br />
1.2.2.1. SHDGHGDFFD<br />
1.2.2.2. DHDGGFDGD<br />
1.2.2.3. DDDFCDGDD<br />
1.2.3. SJHFSFDSSS<br />
1.3. Test Data 3<br />
1.3.1 HGFDA<br />
1.3.2 JJHGSS
mwilliams
So, the data in your data set already has the numbered bullets?
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109478" data-time="1347947580" data-date="17 September 2012 - 10:53 PM"><p>
So, the data in your data set already has the numbered bullets?<br /></p></blockquote>
I throught I have my question. <br />
<br />
Let me know what is the correct way of producing bullets numbering in BIRT. is that possible?. As I said right now I have hardcoded which I'm not comfortable. Is it possible to use html OL or UL html tags?. How can we achieve this?. Does this makesense?.
mwilliams
What I had been looking for was what the data looked like in your dataSet. Like, if you went to the dataSet editor and went to preview results, what did it look like. I guess I just wasn't understanding that this is completely static and does not come from a dataSet. My mistake. You can use HTML to build an OL, in a text box with HTML selected from the drop down, in the editor.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109533" data-time="1348027912" data-date="18 September 2012 - 09:11 PM"><p>
What I had been looking for was what the data looked like in your dataSet. Like, if you went to the dataSet editor and went to preview results, what did it look like. I guess I just wasn't understanding that this is completely static and does not come from a dataSet. My mistake. You can use HTML to build an OL, in a text box with HTML selected from the drop down, in the editor.<br /></p></blockquote>
I tried using ol but multinumbering never worked. Can you suggest a sample or an example?
mwilliams
This will create the list for you, using ol, but you have to specify the multi-level numbering yourself. You could probably create this html dynamically, depending on your data.<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
<ol>
<li>Test data 1
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.1. XYZ
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.1.1. JGHGHFDGFD</li>
<li>1.1.2. SHGHGFDD</li>
<li>1.1.3. HFHGDFGFDD</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.2. ABC
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.2.1. HDFDGFD</li>
<li>1.2.2. SJHGSGS
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.2.2.1 SHDGHGDFFD</li>
<li>1.2.2.2 DHDGGFDGD</li>
<li>1.2.2.3 DDDFCDGDD</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.2.3. SJHFSFDSSS</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.3. Test Data 3
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.3.1. HGFDA</li>
<li>1.3.2. JJHGSS</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</pre>
<br />
If I find another way, I'll let you know.
mwilliams
There's this, too, but I haven't gotten it to work.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/counters?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=CSS_Counters
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109584" data-time="1348082829" data-date="19 September 2012 - 12:27 PM"><p>
There's this, too, but I haven't gotten it to work.<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/counters?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=CSS_Counters'>https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/counters?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=CSS_Counters</a><br
/></p></blockquote>
Yes before I tried using css but these types of css cannot be imported in BIRT. There is lots of restrictions.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109583" data-time="1348082755" data-date="19 September 2012 - 12:25 PM"><p>
This will create the list for you, using ol, but you have to specify the multi-level numbering yourself. You could probably create this html dynamically, depending on your data.<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
<ol>
<li>Test data 1
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.1. XYZ
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.1.1. JGHGHFDGFD</li>
<li>1.1.2. SHGHGFDD</li>
<li>1.1.3. HFHGDFGFDD</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.2. ABC
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.2.1. HDFDGFD</li>
<li>1.2.2. SJHGSGS
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.2.2.1 SHDGHGDFFD</li>
<li>1.2.2.2 DHDGGFDGD</li>
<li>1.2.2.3 DDDFCDGDD</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.2.3. SJHFSFDSSS</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>1.3. Test Data 3
<ol style="list-style-type:none">
<li>1.3.1. HGFDA</li>
<li>1.3.2. JJHGSS</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
</pre>
<br />
If I find another way, I'll let you know.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Thanks but the numbers are hardcoded. Actually I do not want to mention the bullet numbers.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'sribk2012'" data-cid="109593" data-time="1348086151" data-date="19 September 2012 - 01:22 PM"><p>
Yes before I tried using css but these types of css cannot be imported in BIRT. There is lots of restrictions.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Here is the html file but I was never able to import these CSS to BIRT<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<style >
ul.numericbullets { counter-reset:section; list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li { list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li ul { counter-reset:subsection; }
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul{ counter-reset:subsubsection; }
ul.numericbullets li:before{
counter-increment:section;
content:counter(section) ". ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) " ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsubsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) "." counter(subsubsection) " ";
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<ul class="numericbullets">
<li>Cats</li>
<li>Dogs
<ul>
<li>Birds</li>
<li>Rats
<ul>
<li>Birds</li>
<li>Rats</li>
<li>Rats</li>
<li>Rats</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Rabbits</li>
<li>Ants
<ul>
<li>Lions</li>
<li>Rats</li>
<li>Rats</li>
<li>Rats</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Ducks</li>
</ul>
</body>
</html>
</pre>
mwilliams
Go add <br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
ul.numericbullets { counter-reset:section; list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li { list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li ul { counter-reset:subsection; }
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul{ counter-reset:subsubsection; }
ul.numericbullets li:before{
counter-increment:section;
content:counter(section) ". ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) " ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsubsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) "." counter(subsubsection) " ";
}
</pre>
to the style.css in webcontet -> birt -> styles. Then, put your html list in a html style text box, and it will work in the viewer frameset and in run, but it won't work in preview.
sribk2012
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109599" data-time="1348088930" data-date="19 September 2012 - 02:08 PM"><p>
Go add <br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
ul.numericbullets { counter-reset:section; list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li { list-style-type:none; }
ul.numericbullets li ul { counter-reset:subsection; }
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul{ counter-reset:subsubsection; }
ul.numericbullets li:before{
counter-increment:section;
content:counter(section) ". ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) " ";
}
ul.numericbullets li ul li ul li:before {
counter-increment:subsubsection;
content:counter(section) "." counter(subsection) "." counter(subsubsection) " ";
}
</pre>
to the style.css in webcontet -> birt -> styles. Then, put your html list in a html style text box, and it will work in the viewer frameset and in run, but it won't work in preview.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Williams, What do you mean by "webcontet -> birt -> styles" ?. I'm new to BIRT. <br />
<br />
Before I tried couple of things. <br />
1. created a css file and added these in that file and used "import CSS style" shown in eclipse outline view. Only ul.numericbullets was shown as valid.<br />
2. In text edit mode made content type as 'html' within html had all these css. still did not work. <br />
<br />
I'm I missing anything?.
mwilliams
If you're wanting to do what I said in your designer, go into your file system, where you have Eclipse installed, go to plug-ins, go to the viewer plug-in, go to birt -> webcontent -> birt -> styles, and then you'll see the style.css. This style sheet gets loaded in the <HEAD> for the frameset and run jsp, so if you put your styles in it, lists in your reports can use the style.