Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Why is it impossible to add a Table/List to a Table Header?
hvb
Recently I tried to insert a Table item into (a cell of) the header row of an existing Table item. But the designer wouldn't let me. Consequently, using the "Add item" context menu, List and Table were disabled.
Is there any specifiy reason for this?
For the given report, I found a workaround: Since my (inner )table would only contain a single column with text, I substituted it with a Dynamic Text item and used the CONCATENATE aggregate function.
But what if I two columns in the inner table?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Why do you want to put a table in another table's header? Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do. Maybe I can offer another suggestion.
hvb
Well, the data model is quite complex, so I won't try to explain it here.
However, the (outer) table header displays a descriptive text and some summary values for the data. The table header has a visible border. Inside the table, the data is displayed as usually.
There is also a DB table (let's name it COMMENTS) containing additional comments on the table which has to be displayed in the table header.
So my first (and natural) approach was to add an inner List (or Table) inside the outer table header to show these comments (using the Data Set Comments).
As a workaround (in this special case) I added a CONCATENATE aggregate to the Data Set (with a line feed as the separator) and bound it to a Dynamic Text item inside the table header.
This approach wouldn't work if the visible representation of the Comments Data Set had more than a single column.
BTW adding a Table/List item to the footer of a Table item is allowed.
mwilliams
Is there a field you can group on, to create a group header? You can put a table in a group header. If not, you could create a field that has the same value, for all rows, then group on it. That might help you get what you're wanting. To tell you the truth, I had never tried to put a table in the actual header of another table, so I had no idea it wasn't possible.