Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Internationalizing a Report with Lots of Dynamic Text
Priya R
Williams,<br />
<br />
I have a report that contain few static text and lots of dynamic fields. I need to internationalise the report. How do we internationalise a report that contain lots of dynamic fields. <br />
<br />
For example in the below paragraph<br />
<br />
"<strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>Steve</span></strong> has a <strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>Master's Degree</span></strong> and professional qualification in <strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>Certificate</span></strong>. The key industries <strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>he</span></strong> has worked in include <strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>IT & Telco</span></strong> with functional experience in the <strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #FF0000'>ICT</span></strong> area. In terms of sector experience this is outlined in the chart below."<br />
<br />
The words in red color are dynamic fields and the rest are static text. How do I internationalize the paragraph?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance<br />
Cheers,<br />
Priya
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Have you seen the last question, on this wiki page? It might help.
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/wiki/index.php?title=BIRT:Internationalization
Priya R
Thanks for the reply. When I checked today morning Australian Time, I didn't see any response that is why I reposted. Anywayz thanks for the response.
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
No problem. Let me know if you still have issues. I'll take a closer look.
Priya R
Hi Williams,
I'm facing a problem in my report. Whenever I change the font of text in the report, It is not reflecting in the PDF output format. It is reflecting in all other output formats. Do you know what is the reason for that?.
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
How are you applying the font? In the designer? Is the font you're trying to use ttf?
Priya R
I am applying in the designer. Sorry, I didn't understand 'ttf'..
I added a label in the sample report and in the General Tab I changed the font into 'Zapfino'. But it didn't reflect in the pdf version. Please see attached screenshot.
Cheers,
Priya
Priya R
One more question, Is there any way that I can add a QRCode to the footer of the Master Page in BIRT?
I am able to add the QRCode in the Layout. But my requirement is to add the QRCode in the Footer of the report.
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
The PDF output requires that you have a true type font, so if you don't have this font available in ttf, it won't work in PDF, it'll default to something else.
As for the QR Code, what issue are you having with adding it to the footer?
Priya R
In the report design, when I switch to Master Page from Layout - Barcode, Chart and Cross Tab controls are not showing in the Palette.
In one of the discussion in the forum, I read that we cannot use a Chart in the Master Page. I'm assuming Barcode is also same as Chart and Cross Tab. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
Are you using the barcode plugin? I haven't used it much, besides testing it for the contest, if so. But, if you don't see it in the palette, it's not available.
Priya R
Yes I am using Barcode plugin. Anyways thanks for your reply.<br />
<br />
One another problem, I am trying to use Report Viewer. I deployed birt.war in jboss server deploy folder. Report that doesn't have any database connection is working fine. However reports that have database connection is giving problems.<br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'>"Grid NewGrid1131:<br />
+ Can not load the report query: 3683. Errors occurred when generating the report document for the report element with ID 3,683. (Element ID:3683)"</strong><br />
<br />
It is working fine inside the Eclipse Report Designer Viewer.<br />
<br />
In some threads I read to place the jdbc driver under plugin folder. We are using "WebServices Data Source" to connect to database. Do I need to still use the jdbc driver?<br />
<br />
Cheers,<br />
Priya
mwilliams
No, you won't need a JDBC driver, unless you're using a JDBC dataSource. Can you expand the error with the '+' and post the whole stack in here?
Priya R
Hi Williams,
Thanks for your reply. I figured out my problem. the birt.war that I was using was corrupted. I downloaded the latest version(birt runtime 4.2.0) and followed the Jboss deployment instructions and it is working fine now.
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
Great to hear!
Priya R
Report in PDF format is displaying correctly with correct spacing but the DOC format the spacing is not displaying correctly.
I tried using Viewer and API engine to generate report but both showing the same result. Please find attached screenshots. I am using the latest version 4.2.0
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
Can you create a sample that will show this? I don't know how you're creating the spacing. My simple tests look the same in DOC and PDF.
Priya R
Please see the attached rptdesign file and the pdf and doc format of the report. I am not using any data source in the report. All the fields are just labels.
I am adding Margin between the controls to add some space.
I am using Eclipse Juno, BIRT 4.2.0 on Mac OS. I installed Microsoft Word on my mac machine to view the doc format of the report.
mwilliams
I see what you're doing. It doesn't appear that the DOC output recognizes the margin. Short of downloading the source and modifying the DOC emitter, you could just put your labels into a grid and have blank grid rows in between the labels. You can set the height for the empty rows to the padding value. That should handle both cases.
Priya R
Is this a bug in BIRT? Is there any way we can fix this in the next release? As per your reply, I need to put all the controls in a GRID and adjust the padding rite.
What if my report is too long- means 100 controls in a report? All these should place in a single grid and adjust the padding?
Cheers,
Priya
mwilliams
You can file a bug in the bugzilla at eclipse.org/birt. This appears to be an issue with the DOC emitter. You could possibly download the source to see if you can fix it yourself.
Priya R
Hi Williams,
I have a doubt. In BIRT there are 4 fontsCofig_*.xml files. I can understand that fontsConfig_linux.xml is for Linux OS and fontsConfig_win32.xml is for Windows OS and fontsConfig.xml is default.
I don?t understand why there is fontsConfig_pdf.xml? pdf is not an operating system right. If we have separate xml file for pdf, why we don?t have separate xml files for other output formats?
Also, inside fontsConfig.xml, I can see the paths specified inside <font-paths> </font-paths>. The default paths are for Windows ,Linux and Ubuntu I guess. There is no default path for MAC OS.
In latest BIRT version, all are packaged inside the jar file. Is there any easy way we can change this fonts in BIRT4.2.0?
Thanks,
Priya
mwilliams
I'm not certain 100%, on this, but my guess on the pdf having a separate config is because for the pdf output, you have to use ttf. As for the issue of the font config files being jarred up, I thought that was supposed to have changed. I'll have to look into that one.
claus
Hi,<br />
<br />
is there anything new on editing the fondsConfig.xml files within the jar-file? I need to change some lines, but the jar is signed...<br />
<br />
Thanks.<br />
<br />
We found a solution for our tomcat-7 / Birt 4.2.1 installation.<br />
1. Get the fontsConfig*.xml files out of the org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.2.1.v20120918-1113.jar<br />
2. Edit the files and place them into ../apache-tomcat-7/webapps/your_birt_folder/WEB-INF/classes<br />
<br />
This overwrites the fontsConfig*.xml files within the jar.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="110691" data-time="1350626976" data-date="18 October 2012 - 11:09 PM"><p>
I'm not certain 100%, on this, but my guess on the pdf having a separate config is because for the pdf output, you have to use ttf. As for the issue of the font config files being jarred up, I thought that was supposed to have changed. I'll have to look into that one.<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
Very good! Thanks for including your workaround! You might post this in the devShare, if it's not already in there, so others can easily find it.