Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
How to avoid extra page
Xuechang
Hi there,
Recently I updated Maximo to 7.5.0.3 which uses BIRT 3.7.1 under Windows system.
We have an important report runs alright in Maixmo 7.5.0.2; however, after I update Maximo into 7.5.0.3, this report always produces an extra page in PDF (not in HTML). I used 7503 updatereports utility but not helpful. I redo it using Birt 7503 Portrait List template but the problem is still there.
I notice there are features in Birt 3.7.1 but I do not know what should I do to avoid the extra page in PDF.
Is there anybody can help me?
Attached is the report using Birt 3.7.1.
Thanks!
Richard
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
What happens if you switch from auto to fixed layout?
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109590" data-time="1348084597" data-date="19 September 2012 - 12:56 PM"><p>
What happens if you switch from auto to fixed layout?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks for the reply!<br />
I change the Layout into Fixed Layout. The result is the same. I think it may related to the PDF conversion. When I view as HTML, it is fine with one page. When I run View Report as PDF, the extra empty page follows. <br />
<br />
I compare the report with the default report and could not find anything.<br />
<br />
Any more ideas?<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
It appears that you've taken care of all the sizing issues by leaving at least one cell to auto size per element, but with so many embedded items, there could be an issue with that somewhere, that's causing it.
mwilliams
You might try taking the height setting off of the outer table and deleting the footer, since you're not using it. The height should expand with the contents inside, so I don't think it's necessary to set it. Another thing you could do to test would be to minimize the left and right margins in the masterpage, to see if giving a little extra horizontal space gets rid of the extra page. That could tell you there's a sizing issue.
Lastly, I just read to the bottom of your report and saw that you're from Mizzou. Being a KU grad, I don't know how I feel about helping you!
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109601" data-time="1348089599" data-date="19 September 2012 - 02:19 PM"><p>
You might try taking the height setting off of the outer table and deleting the footer, since you're not using it. The height should expand with the contents inside, so I don't think it's necessary to set it. Another thing you could do to test would be to minimize the left and right margins in the masterpage, to see if giving a little extra horizontal space gets rid of the extra page. That could tell you there's a sizing issue.<br />
<br />
Lastly, I just read to the bottom of your report and saw that you're from Mizzou. Being a KU grad, I don't know how I feel about helping you!
<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Appreciate your help! I will try it tomorrow to change the margin of the master page.<br />
<br />
It is a small world. I had been a student at KU from 87 to 90 where I experienced craziness of NCAA Basketball championship on 1988. Moreover, the border game is over. Do not feel bad to help me!
<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109601" data-time="1348089599" data-date="19 September 2012 - 02:19 PM"><p>
You might try taking the height setting off of the outer table and deleting the footer, since you're not using it. The height should expand with the contents inside, so I don't think it's necessary to set it. Another thing you could do to test would be to minimize the left and right margins in the masterpage, to see if giving a little extra horizontal space gets rid of the extra page. That could tell you there's a sizing issue.<br />
<br />
Lastly, I just read to the bottom of your report and saw that you're from Mizzou. Being a KU grad, I don't know how I feel about helping you!
<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
I change the margin of the master page from 0.5 to 0.2 inch. The extra empty page is still there.<br />
I might redo this report to see if the problem is gone.<br />
<br />
Thanks for the help!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
The report you posted in here shows that your margins are all .25" already. Are you talking about the header and footer, instead, when you say moving it from .5 to .2? Also, did you try deleting the footer and removing the height from the very outer table's detail row? It's unfortunate that I can't test on your report, too.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109675" data-time="1348252493" data-date="21 September 2012 - 11:34 AM"><p>
The report you posted in here shows that your margins are all .25" already. Are you talking about the header and footer, instead, when you say moving it from .5 to .2? Also, did you try deleting the footer and removing the height from the very outer table's detail row? It's unfortunate that I can't test on your report, too.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
I did try to keep the header, footer, left and right margin to original 0.5 inch and change them to 0.3 inch. It is the same. I tried to delete the footer and add the footer for out most table. It still gives me the extra page. <br />
<br />
This morning I did a test by deleting most of the items in the report and keep out most table in less than 10 inch in height (it is Portrait layout), it gives me one page. If I extend the bottom line of out most table to 11 inch, it will give me one with content page and one extra page. I use Auto Layout. I do not understand why this happen? The question really is if there are many items in the report table more than 11 inch in height, how to keep the page display in one page?<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
What I was saying was that the original margins, on the report you sent me, are 0.25". If you tried .5 and .3, you're trying larger values than the original value.
So, if you try the report that I have attached, do you still get an extra page? Removing the masterpage header and footer should give you 10.5" of space on each page, for the body elements. With a height on your detail row set to 47.854 and this setting, you should end up with 5 pages. With the extra inch given to the header and footer, you would have had just over 5 pages, which may have caused your problem. Now your report should easily fit in 5 PDF pages.
As for your new question about keeping the page in one page, do you mean you want the 47+" space you've defined for your outer table's detail row to fit into a single page? If this is the case, when you use a fixed page size output, like PDF, you'll need to have a masterpage that is large enough to fit the entire height of the report that you can use.
Let me know. If you can make a report with this issue, that I can run, using the sample database, maybe we can discover the issue quicker.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109718" data-time="1348520201" data-date="24 September 2012 - 01:56 PM"><p>
What I was saying was that the original margins, on the report you sent me, are 0.25". If you tried .5 and .3, you're trying larger values than the original value.<br />
<br />
So, if you try the report that I have attached, do you still get an extra page? Removing the masterpage header and footer should give you 10.5" of space on each page, for the body elements. With a height on your detail row set to 47.854 and this setting, you should end up with 5 pages. With the extra inch given to the header and footer, you would have had just over 5 pages, which may have caused your problem. Now your report should easily fit in 5 PDF pages.<br />
<br />
As for your new question about keeping the page in one page, do you mean you want the 47+" space you've defined for your outer table's detail row to fit into a single page? If this is the case, when you use a fixed page size output, like PDF, you'll need to have a masterpage that is large enough to fit the entire height of the report that you can use.<br />
<br />
Let me know. If you can make a report with this issue, that I can run, using the sample database, maybe we can discover the issue quicker.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thank you for the effort! I made a test portrait in Birt 3.7.1 using sample database. I copied grid several times in the Layout tab so that the height is over 11 inch. Even though the last two grid I put them in not visiable but the empty 2nd page still displays. If I delete the last two grids so that the table height is in 9 inch, it displays one page. I think there is a problem in BIRT 3.7.1 report designer if the report design area is bigger than 9 or 10 inch, it will cause the extra empty page.<br />
<br />
Attached is the sample report using Maximo Portrait List template, and the library file.<br />
<br />
Please check the report and let me know what the result you have got.<br />
<br />
Appreciate your help!<br />
<br />
Richard<br />
<br />
PS: I have a problem to update two files at once. I will update the library file in other reply.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109718" data-time="1348520201" data-date="24 September 2012 - 01:56 PM"><p>
What I was saying was that the original margins, on the report you sent me, are 0.25". If you tried .5 and .3, you're trying larger values than the original value.<br />
<br />
So, if you try the report that I have attached, do you still get an extra page? Removing the masterpage header and footer should give you 10.5" of space on each page, for the body elements. With a height on your detail row set to 47.854 and this setting, you should end up with 5 pages. With the extra inch given to the header and footer, you would have had just over 5 pages, which may have caused your problem. Now your report should easily fit in 5 PDF pages.<br />
<br />
As for your new question about keeping the page in one page, do you mean you want the 47+" space you've defined for your outer table's detail row to fit into a single page? If this is the case, when you use a fixed page size output, like PDF, you'll need to have a masterpage that is large enough to fit the entire height of the report that you can use.<br />
<br />
Let me know. If you can make a report with this issue, that I can run, using the sample database, maybe we can discover the issue quicker.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
I could not upload the MaximoSystemLibrary.rptlibrary file so that I just past the contents below. Thanks!<br />
<br />
<br />
EDIT: I zipped the file and attached it - mwilliams
mwilliams
I don't have Maximo, so I won't be able to run your report. If you can recreate the issue with the Classic Models sample database, that comes in BIRT, it'd be very helpful.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109750" data-time="1348591064" data-date="25 September 2012 - 09:37 AM"><p>
I don't have Maximo, so I won't be able to run your report. If you can recreate the issue with the Classic Models sample database, that comes in BIRT, it'd be very helpful.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
The report is connecting to the sample DB - Classic Models. However, the master page is using MaximoSystemLibrary.rptlibrary file. You can open the report file and change the Master Page Library path to wherever the library file you put.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Xuechang'" data-cid="109758" data-time="1348595438" data-date="25 September 2012 - 10:50 AM"><p>
The report is connecting to the sample DB - Classic Models. However, the master page is using MaximoSystemLibrary.rptlibrary file. You can open the report file and change the Master Page Library path to wherever the library file you put.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Hello, I download the pure Birt 3.7.1 designer. I used sample DB for the attached report. Please check it to see if you can take away the extra empty page. If you delete last two grids in which they are invisible, the report will stay in one page.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Xuechang'" data-cid="109758" data-time="1348595438" data-date="25 September 2012 - 10:50 AM"><p>
The report is connecting to the sample DB - Classic Models. However, the master page is using MaximoSystemLibrary.rptlibrary file. You can open the report file and change the Master Page Library path to wherever the library file you put.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
Richard<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Ah. My mistake. I just looked at the library and saw the Maximo stuff. I'll take a look at the recently posted report, now.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109765" data-time="1348604187" data-date="25 September 2012 - 01:16 PM"><p>
Ah. My mistake. I just looked at the library and saw the Maximo stuff. I'll take a look at the recently posted report, now.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thank you very much for the help! <br />
<br />
More over, I did a same report using the sample DB connection in Birt 2.3.2. It does not have any extra empty page even though the table design contents exceeds 11 inch(with several grids invisible). I think Birt 3.7.1 has the bug.<br />
<br />
Let me know what you find out.<br />
<br />
Thanks again!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
Ok. One of the things I had said to try, before, which was to remove the height you have set on the outer table's detail row, fixes the issue in the latest report you posted. If you remove that in your original report, does it cause any issues? The row height should expand automatically.
Xuechang
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="109767" data-time="1348604546" data-date="25 September 2012 - 01:22 PM"><p>
Ok. One of the things I had said to try, before, which was to remove the height you have set on the outer table's detail row, fixes the issue in the latest report you posted. If you remove that in your original report, does it cause any issues? The row height should expand automatically.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Yes. It did! I set 100% on the outer table detail row and the problem is solved!<br />
<br />
Appreciate your help!!!<br />
<br />
Richard
mwilliams
Great! Glad it's working! Let us know whenever you have questions!