Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
"No wrapping" setting for field with right alignment
cpaul_it
I am trying to format a check "amount" field that shows the currency value, including the symbol, is right justified, and contains preceding filler characters to not allow alterations, like this:
*******$1,204.45 or ***$2,409,043.18
The leading asterisks were intended to fill the remaining length of the BIRT data column or field length. To accomplish that, I attempted to add a bunch of asterisks to the front of the formatted number, and I was hoping that since the field was right aligned with no wrapping that I would get what I desired; instead, the information shows as "************$1,2". Obviously, "no wrapping" is not displaying the right-most characters, but on a right-justified field, the right characters are often the most significant, so I was hoping that it would not display the left-most characters.
Any way to accomplish this within BIRT? I know I can get the length of the amount field in character count and estimate how many asterisks I would need, but I'd prefer that to be done at display time using the length of the BIRT data field.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Tubal
This is an HTML issue, not a BIRT issue. <br />
<br />
The text-align property in HTML only applies when the text in the cell is smaller than the cell.<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting'>http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting</a><br
/>
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' ><p>When the total width of the inline-level boxes on a line is less than the width of the line box containing them, their horizontal distribution within the line box is determined by the 'text-align' property. If that property has the value 'justify', the user agent may stretch spaces and words in inline boxes (but not inline-table and inline-block boxes) as well.<br />
<br />
When an inline box exceeds the width of a line box, it is split into several boxes and these boxes are distributed across several line boxes. If an inline box cannot be split (e.g., if the inline box contains a single character, or language specific word breaking rules disallow a break within the inline box, or if the inline box is affected by a white-space value of nowrap or pre), then the inline box overflows the line box.</p></blockquote>
<br />
If you're set on having the asterisks leading your data, you'd probably have to go with your second option.
cpaul_it
We are trying to go to PDF, so am I to assume this is not a BIRT issue but a PDF alignment/wrap/no-wrap issue?
Tubal
I think the PDF emitter just reads the characteristics from the xml file. I don't know that there is a separate alignment/wrapping attribute for PDF. So the PDF is built from the HTML.