Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Data cache
VSafonov
I have a fairly complex scripted dataset that does a few things:
1. FTPs log files from production server to a temp dir
2. Parses them into Vector (just like in the example...)
Then I create a join Data-set to merge log info to some database tables.
Then I have few charts built to show different perspectives.
I have noticed that my scripted data-set is being run for every chart(ftp, parse - all)
I want to be able to do that processing once per report run. Is there a way I could get this to work like this?
environment -
Eclipse Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools SDK
Version: 4.2.1.v20120820-8F8j7OFT0z0-TmCbQK30Qm
Build id: v20120912-1721
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Clement Wong
In BIRT 4.2.1, it is now possible to configure whether the data engine caches a data set. You can read more about Data Set Cache Control @ <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/notable4.2.php#jump_11'>http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/notable4.2.php#jump_11</a>.<br
/>
<br />
However, by default, it is set to true so it should not run your (scripted) data set multiple times.<br />
<br />
In my testing, I have a scripted dataset that gets the current timestamp. The dataset is used in multiple tables and charts. If I set the "Needs cache for data-engine" setting to true, the timestamps are all the same timestamp value. If I change the setting to false, the timestamps change (thus the script data set is re-run for each).<br />
<br />
Can you please check this setting in your design?<br />
<br />
If this setting is true, and you still see the multiple run behavior, then please include either your design to look at your report structure, or include a sample the replicates the behavior you are seeing.
VSafonov
couldn't find this option in the design.
But I think I have it solved another way. All charts are sitting in the grid - I have bound the dataset to grid and the had to re-bind the data to all charts not to Dataset directly, but to a grid's binding. Now it appears to only run the data once.
VSafonov
I see the option, but I don't think it is working. Since my scripted datasource does ftp I see that files are being downloaded every time it hits new chart. So even binding DS to a grid containing those charts solved this problem - I expect that when I put the details table below it it would re-query again. Will report later with updates...