Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Things I need for BIRT Reporting
codename_
Good day
Im very new in BIRT reporting. I want to add reporting functionalities in my project but I really dont know how to start.
I have a few question for doing this
1. What are the things a need for me to able to run a BIRT report using JSP?Do i need API?JAR file?(Example: Data was displayed in my jsp page then i have button to export this data to pdf)
2. How to make a query in designing a report that accepts parameters came from JSP page?
Sorry for all the noob questions I really dont know how to start.It will be more helpful I you can provide tutorials from the very basic part. Thanks and more power
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Yaytay
[quote name='codename_' date='10 January 2013 - 05:54 AM' timestamp='1357797244' post='113126'<br />
<br />
1. What are the things a need for me to able to run a BIRT report using JSP?Do i need API?JAR file?(Example: Data was displayed in my jsp page then i have button to export this data to pdf)<br />
2. How to make a query in designing a report that accepts parameters came from JSP page?<br />
<br />
[/quote]<br />
<br />
The answer to question 2 depends on the answer to question 1, and that has lots of options, the four main ones being:<br />
<ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>Deploy the report viewer.<br />
The report viewer is a ready built WAR file that you can deploy that let's you run reports by making an HTTP request to a URL.<br />
It's got some good features, but isn't very flexible - there are limits to how much you can customise the UI.<br />
As you might expect, this is the simplest option.<br />
</li><li>Build the BIRT report engine into your own project.<br />
If you use maven and BIRT 4.2.1 this is not as awkward as it used to be, but it's still a lot more work than the first option.<br />
The key benefit of this option is that you have more control of file handling and UI.<br />
</li><li>Build your own report service using the BIRT report engine.<br />
This is basically a case of wrapping the BIRT report engine in your own interface.<br />
This is beneficial if you have multiple web systems that want to access report, or if you want to isolate the reports from the rest of your system (because BIRT uses a lot of memory).<br />
</li><li>Buy a better report server like Actuate iServer.<br />
We found that iServer wasn't a good fit for our needs and it costs a chunk of cash, but if it does fit your needs it's a lot simpler than building your own report service.</li></ul>
<br />
If you are using the report viewer (first option, the least work to get going) you can provide report parameters as URL query string entries.<br />
This link provides details of the query string options you can provide to the report viewer:<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerUsage.php'>http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerUsage.php</a><br
/>
<br />
Jim
Yaytay
Hmm, why did my reply come out twice? Odd, I only see it once when I edit it. Oh we'll, I hope the duplication doesn't confuse too much.
Jim
codename_
@yaytay
Can you refer me a link? Im still a student and I dont have any background about this...Thanks for your answer