Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Password protected Excel Report
Priya R
Hi
How do we create password protected EXCEL report in BIRT using BIRT's Excel Emitter?
Cheers,
Priya
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
CBR
OpenSource BIRTs default Excel Emitter does not support that. Not sure about the commercial version.
Perhaps you can switch to a third party emitter that does support that.
Yaytay
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'cbrell'" data-cid="113338" data-time="1358405158" data-date="16 January 2013 - 11:45 PM"><p>
OpenSource BIRTs default Excel Emitter does not support that. Not sure about the commercial version.<br />
Perhaps you can switch to a third party emitter that does support that.<br /></p></blockquote>
The SpudSoft emitters and the 'native' emitters supports it, not sure about others.<br />
<br />
Don't overestimate the protection it provides, however, in neither case is the file actually encrypted and it's up to the tool reading the file to do what it want with it - I.e it would be pretty trivial to write a utility to remove any such passwords.<br />
<br />
Jim
Priya R
Hi, <br />
<br />
Thanks for you reply. I read the thread about password protected excel using native emitter here - <br />
"<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1479-password-protected-excel-reports/'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1479-password-protected-excel-reports/"</a><br
/>
<br />
It is saying "<strong class='bbc'>You can allow a file to be read, but a user will need a password to be able to modify the file."</strong>. <br />
<br />
My requirement is - generate a Excel report that compressed with a password. User is not allowed to read or write that report without a password.<br />
It is possible with Arctorus emitter and I tried the evaluation version. But it is not free. Could you please suggest a free emitter that suits my requirement.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure about SpudSoft emitter. I'm guessing it is also same as Native emitter. Correct me if I'm wrong.<br />
<br />
Cheers,<br />
Priya
Yaytay
You are not wrong - the SpudSoft emitter also only does password protection to give read-only access to individual sheets, it doesn't inherently prevent anyone from reading the file.
One option to get around this would be to take the output from the emitters and wrap that in an encrypted zip file.
Jim
CBR
Hi,
Concerning the link you posted earlier:
The user downloaded the source code of the native excel emitter and changed it to allow password protection. The official version does not support it.
I agree with Yaytay:
Why not creating a unprotected excel document and zip it using a strong encryption algorithm.