I have 2 datasets:
dst_ReportData contains all of data I want to display in my dataset
dst_Security contains security information that tells what the user is allowed to see from dst_Report data
These are 2 completely different datasets with no shared identifiers between them
dst_Security is restricted to a single record using the filter USERNAME=BirtStr.toUpper(reportContext.getAppContext().get("ServerUserName"))
I want to restrict dst_ReportData based on the value that gets returned in the dst_Security dataset. I could successfully do this using a report parameter with dst_Security as my data source, however, I don't want the user to see the underlying parameter value. If I hide the parameter, though, the report doesn't run because I don't have a default value set. Each user has only 1 record in the dataset, but the value can be different across users.
My question is:
a) is there a way to design the parameter so that I can dynamically set the value to the only value my dst_Security dataset is returning for the user? or

is there a more elegant solution to restricting the data besides using parameters? I don't really need the parameters since the user isn't selecting anything, I just need some way to restrict dst_ReportData based on the results in dst_Security. Since other datasets can't be referenced in the filter for a dataset, I think parameters and variables are my only options.