Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Data Cube / Crosstab: Empty rows not showing
jakoby84
Hi,
I attach a sample report using the Classic Models Database. It has a data cube with 2 dimensions: Year / Week Of Year and CUSTOMERNUMBER (table PAYMENTS). I created a measure which counts the number of entries in the given aggregation. The crosstab shows time horizontally and customer numbers vertically. So the measure shows payments per week per customer.
So far so good.
The problem is: I activated the option "Show empty colums: Week Of Year". From my understanding this should result in a crosstab which shows a column for every week from 1 to 53. I followed the exact steps of BIRT - A Field Guide. Nevertheless, the columns of weeks 15, 23, 24, 41, 42 are not shown.
Is this a bug or did I miss something?
Thanks in advance for having a look at the report! Cheers Jakob
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
kclark
If the dataset doesn't have the date values then the crosstab will still be blank for those dates like your example. One way to get around this is to create a scripted dataset and then add the date range from script. You could then join that dataset with the other and create your cube. <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1006-add-missing-dates-to-chart-category---table/'>Here's
a devshare</a> with an example showing how to do this with charts. It will work for what you're trying to do though.
jakoby84
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kclark'" data-cid="114346" data-time="1361289229" data-date="19 February 2013 - 08:53 AM"><p>
If the dataset doesn't have the date values then the crosstab will still be blank for those dates like your example.</p></blockquote>
<br />
Well then I don't really get the point of showing empty rows/cols. I mean, as one would understand, the <strong class='bbc'>sole purpose of that feature is actually to include blank values</strong>...<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kclark'" data-cid="114346" data-time="1361289229" data-date="19 February 2013 - 08:53 AM"><p>
One way to get around this is to create a scripted dataset and then add the date range from script. You could then join that dataset with the other and create your cube. <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1006-add-missing-dates-to-chart-category---table/'>Here's
a devshare</a> with an example showing how to do this with charts. It will work for what you're trying to do though.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks for the valuable input and the link to the devshare. I still have to investigate if this will help me out completely though. One of the requirements of my customer is that he wants the weeks of the year / name of months to be displayed on the x axis. So as the 'Data Ranger' s output are dates, I still have to do the transformation from dates to "W[eek ]1", "W2", etc., or to "January", "February" etc.<br />
I hope I will somehow be able to achieve that using a Data Cube, with its more advanced date functions.<br />
<br />
Anyways, thanks again for your advice. I will try to build a working example and then submit it here.<br />
<br />
Cheers, Jakob
Hans_vd
Hi,
Not sure if this exactly what you are looking for, but in this article is described how to show every month within a year using the axis scale dialog:
http://enterprisesmartapps.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/birt-format-chart-axis-scale/
I suppose you could do the same for weeks?
Regards
Hans